Extending wifi across two buildings with Omada EAP610?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-15 15:46:21 - last edited 2022-08-16 00:48:35

Hi.  I have two houses approx 40m apart with only 8mbps ADSL (waiting for fibre to be installed in the area in the next 12 months I hope) through a ISP provided wifi router coming into one of the houses.

This barely covers the wifi needs of the first house and I currently use Strong powerline range extenders to get wifi in the second house.  This relies on old cabling between the two houses and is extremely unreliable.  I have explored running cat 5 cable between the houses but can't get through any of the existing paths and don't want to dig up and run another.

I have experience with Ubiquiti home networks but am considering TP-link Omada Mesh products to extend the wifi from the first to the second house.  Can anyone help me with the products I need? 

I assume I would keep the ISP supplied wireless router (turn off wifi), do I need a switch and/or the omada controller or can plug something like the Omada EAP610 outdoor directly in to my router (it has 4 ports)? Then another 610 outdoor to pick up the signal at the second house? 

Would I need an additional indoor AP for the first house or would a well positioned 610 provide decent inside coverage (3 bedrooms over two floors, standard wall construction)?

The second house has very thick walls and floors but is only one room deep, I am wondering again if the 610 EAP is placed centrally if it might be strong enough?  If not, do I use an internal mesh AP?

Hoping someone has a similar setup and can help me find the right solution!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Extending wifi across two buildings with Omada EAP610?
2022-08-16 10:09:23 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:43:21

EDIT

Options
2022-08-16 12:17:18

@btx Thank you for your response.  So just to be clear, I can connect the first EAP directly to the ISP's wifi router, no need for a switch or controller?

Presumably I set the two up with the same SSID so users can roam between the two without dropping a connection?

The property is in France, so thank you for the advice on the channel needed, I will bear that in mind.

Options
2022-08-16 12:51:08 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:43:04

EDIT

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 454

Replies: 3