WAN reconnection after Internet loss or power loss

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-13 15:36:10
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Not Sure ATM

I have an ER605 installed for a customer. It was just purchased and setup a few weeks ago. I updated to the latest available firmware at the time. The problem I am experiencing is that after an Internet outage, power outage, or a reboot of the device, it does not establish a connection via the WAN right away. The connection is a static IP address via a cable company using their cable modem.

The solution is to unplug the network cable for WAN port and wait a few seconds and plug it back in. This should not be necessary to re-establish the connection. I have not had to do this for any other routers. Is there a setting I missed or a firmware problem that would cause this? Any why does physically rebooting the router not fix this? If I leave it long enough it will eventually re-establish a connection but this is supposed to be an always on connection.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:WAN reconnection after Internet loss or power loss
2022-12-14 06:10:05 - last edited 2022-12-14 06:15:38

@Psyfun 

Could that be DNS issue? Are you able to Ping 8.8.8.8 after rebooting of the router?

I'm using Dynamic IP on my router but did not see this issue.

BTW ER605 requires like 5 minutes to reboot. You will not have Internet access until it finish rebooting.

Options
2022-12-14 12:25:59

@Somnus 

Thanks for the suggestions. It is not a DNS issue. I can't ping anything and the device cannot be reached from the outside with it's static IP address. I am not using Omada for configuration or monitoring.

I have another of these routers at a different site with static IP address and it seems to be working fine after reboots, power outages, etc. I have noticed the long reboot time, but it shouldn't take 2-3 hours to come back online.

One problem I have troubleshooting is that the device is not located where I am. So, when the problem happens, I am remotely troubleshooting with someone at the office where it is installed. The action that causes it to come online immediately is to simply unplug the WAN connection and plug it back in.

Options
2022-12-16 03:55:48

@Psyfun 

Have no idea about this issue.

If it won't happen on other same model routers, maybe it is a hardware problem?

Or compatible issue with a specified modem?

Options