Power over Ethernet questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-23 09:34:25 - last edited 2022-12-24 12:22:55

Hello everyone,

I have a small network at home with 1 AP, 1 Router and 2 switches.

I would like to get rid of the power supplies for at least 4 devices.
What I am thinking is to convert Switch A to a PoE switch.
From it, I would like to power:

• Switch B (which doesn't have any special needs up to now)
  • AP. The AP should power the:
    • Firestick TV
    • 1 or 2 more devices.

Would that be possible? The idea is to use one of the TP-Link wireless AP that have PoE-in and PoE-out ports, so as I would NOT need to have power supplies on Switch B and AP.
I understand that Switch A must have a generous power budget.

Is it feasible?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Power over Ethernet questions
2022-12-25 09:13:43 - last edited 2022-12-25 09:15:12

@PeterTselios Depending on how many ports are needed, "Switch B" could be a SG2008 (T1500G-8T is an older version), this is a 8 port gigabit switch that has one port for POE power in, and no POE pass through, it uses 802.3 af/at standard for power.

For APs with POE pass through, look for the Omada APs with "Wall" in the name and have 4 ethernet ports.  For POE pass through the AP must be supplied via a switch with 802.3at POE.  To power something like a Amazon FireStick or tablet you will need a POE splitter such as the TL-POE10R. 

Options
2023-01-05 08:15:59

@JoeSea 

I don't need an 8-port, smart-or-managed Switch, a simple dumb 4/5 ports Switch with PD. It looks like there is no cheaper alternative from TP-Link though.

Options
2023-01-05 18:26:09

@PeterTselios Correct, the 8 port managed is the only PD switch that TPLink has right now.  Unifi's Switch Flex Mini is a 5 port PD switch for 30 USD, it is "managed" but I think only through Unifi and I've read that it will just be a dumb switch out of the box.  I think I've seen a Netgear 5 port PD switch, but don't recall how long ago and what model.

Options
2023-01-07 12:18:54

@JoeSea Yes, Netgear and ubiquiti are my only alternatives, unfortunately.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 379

Replies: 4

Related Articles