TL-ER7206 - Spanning Tree (RSTP) Scenario

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-27 09:31:11 - last edited 2023-01-27 09:32:29
Tags: #Spanning Tree
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3

Hi there,

may i ask a question about a redundancy scenario.

Just the short background to understand: I got about 130+ EAPs in an Omada on-Premise Environment with a headquarter and about 7 branches. In the headquarter there are about 20 switches (TL-SG3428XMP) and one router (TL-ER7206), which has VPN Site-to-Site to the branches. To maintain all of these components, i have high efforts to get timeslots, because the infrastructure is much in use and the demand for availability has much grown. So every time i update and restart especially the core-switches, the entire uplink for the whole headquarter is lost. For this reason i am about to realize spanning tree protocol. I have outlined a simple scheme: The WAN-router has one WAN Port and the others are LAN-Ports. SW1 & SW2 are the core-switches, SW11 stands for the other access switches. SW1 has actually the uplink and SW2 should become also an uplink to get a redundancy uplink to the internet.

My question is about the uplink to the router. In my opinion, the router needs of course 2 downlinks to the switches, so that SW1 can reboot, SW2 can take-over and the (second) uplink to the router is given. But as i've seen, the router does not support any spanning tree protocol. So will it end up in a loop or does it not matter, because the switches will learn the path and mac and path and block the ports?

Will this work as i mentioned or is the need to configure the router anyway, i didn't see before?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-ER7206 - Spanning Tree (RSTP) Scenario
2023-01-30 07:06:05

@TSK-IT 

I don't think it will work. The router does not support RSTP on LAN ports.

There will be a loop, and the switch can only use Loop Detection to block the data traffic to one of the router's port. But that's not a stable connection and we can't rely on Loop Detection/Protection. 

I'm thinking the only possible solution is to add another switch to your picture, between the router and the two SW1&SW2, so it can do Spanning Tree with the other switches but only have one Ethernet connection to the router.

Options
2023-01-30 12:32:26

Hello @Somnus,

thanks for your answer. Unlikely this misses the goal to build a redundancy scenario. Your solution is actual the status quo. But for now everytime i reboot this one root switch, the entire connection to the internet is offline for about 2 or 3 minutes and within i am not able to do maintainance without interruption. But this is the goal, because the grown demand for availability.

In meantime i've tried my outlined solution in a smaller lab situation and it seems to work. A warning about blocked ports did not apear. That suprised me a little, because i expected it like you described. But i dont know, if it works reliabable in productive environment, which my community thread was intended to.

Do you know another solution?

Best regards

Options
2023-01-31 06:33:18
I have no idea...I need to learn more about RSTP
Options
2023-07-11 13:07:35

@TSK-IT Hi there!

Did you ever figure out a solution to this?  I'm running a similar config, but I have two core switches set with a RTSP priority of 8192 and the 2nd core set to 12288, but the router still takes control over the uplink, instead of the LAG to SW1.

Have you found a way to explicity have the routers link be the STP Blocked under normal circumstances?

Thanks so much!

Options
2023-08-29 23:22:41

@TSK-IT 

I have been trying to figure out this same problem and it does work if you set the links to the router to be active in RSTP. They detect the path via the router and block it. However in my own experience if the root switch is lost then reconnected Omada doesn't handle this very well and crashes my network when the root comes back online. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 504

Replies: 5

Tags

Spanning Tree
Related Articles