R605v1 IPSEC VPN and Android

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-20 10:46:26
Model: OC200   ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.21.7

Starting to lose the will to live with this. 

I'm just trying to get a simple client to site  VPN setup for use with Windows and Android. 

I have an OC200 controller connected to the R605 v1 router (ie not standalone mode). 

I have followed all the various setup guides, other forum posts etc and cannot get my Android phone (Pixel 5 with latest firmware) to connect to the VPN. 

The bits I'm unsure of, which may or may not be affecting the connection:

1,  Proposal 1 - I have this set to SHA1-AES256-DH14 (others have confirmed this to work with Android although i have read it should be SHA2-AES256-DH2 which is not available in the latest R605 firmware).

2, Proposal 2, - I have this set to  ESP - SHA1 - AES256

3, Remote ID is set to IP address - the TP link guides say use a name, but the only confirmed working forum posts all use IP ? either way I cannot get it to connect. 

4, I have a VPN user setup but the ipsec server does not appear in the drop down ? is this even required ?

Since Android no longer supports L2TP or PPTP (which used to work flawlessly)  I am stuck trying to get this to function. 

Does anyone have this working ? R605v1, controlled via OC200, Client to Site, to Android phone.

Worryingly Im seeing lots of posts saying that the v1 hardware is falling behind in support and this does feel the case.

Cheers  

Any help, tips, pointers greatly appreciated. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:R605v1 IPSEC VPN and Android
2023-03-20 12:24:07

@thebandit 

TP Link had promised adding the correct versions in an update at someone... But until then most people either run OpenVPN or just wait. Openvpn does require installing the app though.

Options
Re:R605v1 IPSEC VPN and Android
2023-03-21 08:50:00

@thebandit 

I know you want it to work NOW...

But I have found IPsec VPN to be always very fussy and for this am not a fan.

But WireGuard is coming to TP-Link I think (is available already in the software controller I think)

I've used WireGuard Android to pfsense and OPNsense and it's great, very fast, simple, done.

Next best option for me is OpenVPN, which is generally not too bad to setup, but is not as easy as WG and slower in operation.

Sorry not much help, but IPsec VPNs are a bit of a nightmare and thus I avoid (but have used for site to site in the past)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 377

Replies: 2