ER605 slow/sluggish/laging browsing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-10 21:13:23 - last edited 2023-05-11 06:36:11
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: ER605(UN)_V2_2.1.2 Build 20230210

Hi,

Looking for help. I have ER605 router for some time, directly plugged into ISP modem (dynamic IP configuration), which then redistributes connection through cat 5e/6 cables around the house.

I have been experiencing good download/upload speeds - as dedicated from ISP 500/50 mbs, however whenever I use any browser to open a website (either directly plugged via Ethernet cable - all cat 5e/cat6 less than 20m in length, or via wifi - TP LINK deco M4), like 80% of the time, the websites take some time (like 10-20 seconds) before they start to load (like the router is trying to check something before it actually starts to establish a connection with the website server).

I've tried restoring to factory resets, updated to latest firmware, but nothing helps. I went back now to old totolink router which works fine (no sluggish/lagging response), except it does not manage 500 mbs bandwidth..... So it's not the cables/wifi/or any other hardware. Looks as ER605 seems to be the problem in the whole system.

I also tried:

- turning off/on all firewall protection

- vlan on/off

- on/off bandwith control/optimization function

- and basically all other router functions which seemed that could affect the router's bandwidth/connection establishing functions.

In some other thread (can't find it again now to share link sorry) I've seen someone suggesting that the router may use slow echo server - not sure how to change the default server - could use guidance on how to do/try it.

Overall it looks as the router is trying to do something before it establishes a stable connection with a website server (or any other actually, this sluggish response shows up also during use of other apps: i.e. game servers or others). Once the connection is established it works fine with good speeds for a while - hence why I guess I have good download/upload speeds.

Thanks!

Options
4 Reply
Re:ER605 slow/sluggish/laging browsing
2023-05-11 07:02:47

@JohnO_O 

Hello, in terms of me, it will be fixed by changing the browser, clearing cache and history, especially the private windows is more faster.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-05-11 07:24:13
Thanks, but this is not the solution. The problem persists on Edge/Chrome regardless of device used (iPhone/PC with fresh install of windows - a week ago), PC with Win 10 with not cleared cache for 1+ years. Even smart TVs do take long to estbalish connections. The only common part of the problem is the ER605. After going back to old router, the problem is gone.
Options
2023-05-11 10:45:30

@JohnO_O In my opinion, ER605 router is doing "something behind" that users can't control (trying cloud connections to OMADA, or whatever....).

If I ping from my desktop PC (wired connected) to ER605 I get ping's between 1.2-1.8 ms., and that's a lot. In my older router I always get pings below 1 ms.

Options
2023-05-11 11:00:32

@JohnO_O I agree. It looks as the router is doing something at the start of connection establishment with any new server. Once the connection is established, further data flow works fine.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 752

Replies: 4

Related Articles