RSSI Threshold does not appear to be working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-04 13:39:56
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.9.3

Controller Version 5.9.32

Fast Roaming Enabled

AI Roaming Enabled

Band Steering 5ghz Preferred

RSSI Threshold on the EAP610 OD Root AP set it -70

4 devices connected to EAP610 are -81, -79, -77 and -76. Of course this fluctuates, but to the the best of my ability to monitor this, the signals appear to stay weaker than the set -70 at all times. In order to test, I created a second Wi-Fi network with the same settings, named it Test and applied to just one AP, a Meshed EAP225 Outdoor. Connected those devices to the TEST wifi. Confirmed RSSI to be -70 and better when manually connected to the Test Wifi. Additionally the RSSI from that AP to the ROOT AP is -60. So it would appear that this AP would be the better choice IMO.

Problem is those devices cling to the ROOT AP with the -76 and worse RSSI connections. Manually connecting them to a better AP as I did is great but this is not feasible since it is an RV park. New clients, although in the same physical spot, will have different characteristics and devices that may not work as the previous clients did.

So why do these devices cling to the bad connection? I have even chosen to reconnect them and they will connect to an AP with a better RSSI, but shortly after get connected back to the poor RSSI on the ROOT AP. Also the other APs do not have a manual RSSI setting applied so its not like there is a setting on those AP forcing those clients off.

Is my only option to create an SSID for each AP and just have the clients connect to the one that is best? Seems that can potential overcrowd an AP.

Options
2 Reply
Re:RSSI Threshold does not appear to be working
2023-07-05 02:57:28
Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:RSSI Threshold does not appear to be working
2023-07-05 10:32:33

@Virgo Thanks for the link. The RSSI in my network are in the ideal range or -60 to -67 and the 2.4 channels are already set appropriately per AP. The devices in question are 5ghz and since I only have one AP that is wired, I don't have the option of setting multiple 5ghz channels per AP but it is manually set to a channel I determined is the least amount of usage / interference at the site.  I did not realize there was a Lock to AP feature so will give that a shot.

Options