JetStream switches and DHCP server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-11 14:36:08 - last edited 2023-07-14 06:27:15

Hello community,

Can anybody tell me which JetStream switch has dhcp server capabilities?

I'm looking for a simple wi-fi solution for an SMB that need be cloud controlled ( i.e. Omada). I need a solution for a DHCP server and if somebody knows if any of Jetstream switches do have such a capability? I'm particularly interested in TL-SG3210XHP-M2 switch.

Thank you

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:JetStream switches and DHCP server-Solution
2023-07-12 02:27:54 - last edited 2023-07-14 06:27:18

Hi @fw190,

It would be great if you can take some time to read the following links to understand several terms:

1. How to build up a multi-nets network via Multi-Nets NAT feature on TP-Link router with L2+/L3 switches

2. How to setup Switch as DHCP server on Omada SDN Controller

3. How to configure switch as DHCP server on Standalone mode

By your request, you need a WIFI solution and I suppose that you need to make them have Internet access. A simple DHCP server-supported switch is not enough for Internet access. You have to make sure that your router can help you NAT(translate) these IP addresses. This means you have to make sure that your router support multi-net NAT.

On the Omada routers, you don't have to worry anymore. On the Omada router, multi-nets NAT is supported by default. You don't have to set it up like the first link I attached above. If you are using a non-omada router, then you have to follow the basic config from the first link.

The rest of the articles are simply showing you how to set up the VLAN as well as the DHCP. This does not provide Internet access instead it is simply playing the role of a DHCP server. Not a NAT or gateway.

In the end, if you look for an integrated setup with Omada, I recommend a read of this How to Configure Multi-Networks & Multi-SSIDs on Omada SDN Controller

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-14 06:25:49 - last edited 2023-07-14 06:36:13

Hi @fw190 

Just in case you miss something. That's why I explained a lot there.

Straight to the point, yes. L2+ and L3 switches are built with the DHCP server function. L2 models are not. Make sure you refer to the specs when you check the product specs.

It is Omada compatible as well.SDN switches

Not all switches we have support Omada SDN. Make sure you check the link above. That's the Omada switch list.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
2023-07-12 02:27:54 - last edited 2023-07-14 06:27:18

Hi @fw190,

It would be great if you can take some time to read the following links to understand several terms:

1. How to build up a multi-nets network via Multi-Nets NAT feature on TP-Link router with L2+/L3 switches

2. How to setup Switch as DHCP server on Omada SDN Controller

3. How to configure switch as DHCP server on Standalone mode

By your request, you need a WIFI solution and I suppose that you need to make them have Internet access. A simple DHCP server-supported switch is not enough for Internet access. You have to make sure that your router can help you NAT(translate) these IP addresses. This means you have to make sure that your router support multi-net NAT.

On the Omada routers, you don't have to worry anymore. On the Omada router, multi-nets NAT is supported by default. You don't have to set it up like the first link I attached above. If you are using a non-omada router, then you have to follow the basic config from the first link.

The rest of the articles are simply showing you how to set up the VLAN as well as the DHCP. This does not provide Internet access instead it is simply playing the role of a DHCP server. Not a NAT or gateway.

In the end, if you look for an integrated setup with Omada, I recommend a read of this How to Configure Multi-Networks & Multi-SSIDs on Omada SDN Controller

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:JetStream switches and DHCP server
2023-07-12 15:47:27
Thank you Clive_A for your reply. let me re-phrase the question because I'm afraid I wasn't understood correctly: The question is: does teh switch model TL-SG3210XHP-M2 supports teh dhcp server functionality? If not, which other JetStream switch does support that? Note1: I don't want to use the Omada router; I have already a device facing Internet; the dhcp server capabilities of this device are not for my liking Note2: I want to use a TP-Link switch which can be Omada cloud managed, not software defined managed nor hw controller managed Thank you,
Options
2023-07-14 06:25:49 - last edited 2023-07-14 06:36:13

Hi @fw190 

Just in case you miss something. That's why I explained a lot there.

Straight to the point, yes. L2+ and L3 switches are built with the DHCP server function. L2 models are not. Make sure you refer to the specs when you check the product specs.

It is Omada compatible as well.SDN switches

Not all switches we have support Omada SDN. Make sure you check the link above. That's the Omada switch list.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 359

Replies: 3

Related Articles