Votes

Add local speedtests capability (embeded) and no longer rely on a third party provider to do it

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

Add local speedtests capability (embeded) and no longer rely on a third party provider to do it

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-27 21:58:58 - last edited 2023-07-27 22:09:11
Tags: #WAN Speedtesting
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.0

With all the issues observed with Ookla services integration for speedtests purposes, I really don't understand why we are still forcing the use of this service. And this is a so important WAN QoS monitoring/troubleshooting feature, now we are blind and have to use addtional methods to perform this check.

On many gateways (including the remote ones) it becomes quiclky frustrating..

I was hopping for better news while seing the beta version 5.11.8 anoucement... I noticed some very good news btw, but the seepdtesting issue remains...

Please could you integrate this capability to the gateway, to have the speedtester embeded ? So no longer the need to rely on a third party provider, nor the network to perform it

I am not totally aware about the working amount to have it done, but I sincerely think it worth it...

Options
3 Reply
Re:Add local speedtests capability (embeded) and no longer rely on a third party provider to do it
2023-07-28 06:44:24

@Soubinan 

From my knowledge, they support the manual speedtest function before, but it has been deleted with recent firmware iterations.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Add local speedtests capability (embeded) and no longer rely on a third party provider to do it
2023-07-28 07:30:46

@Virgo Yes they supported it before, but it was using the third party provider Ookla as far I know.

My request is to use a 100% local alternative, so no longer a third party speedtest in the picture.

I know some of us found the third party integration a good thing, I am not against it. But it should not be the default speedtest method, it should be the secondary/optional one (where we could choose the provider of our choice like Ookla, Netflix, Cloudflare or OpenSpeedtest).

The default (primary) speedtest method should use something embedded in the gateway, not a third party one.

Options
RE:Add local speedtests capability (embeded) and no longer rely on a third party provider to do it
2023-08-07 11:19:26
+1
Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 392

Replies: 3

Voters 4

Tags

WAN Speedtesting