APs connected to TL-SL1226P with a connection to a managed TL-SG2428P

2023-12-12 02:37:30 - last edited 2023-12-18 06:13:52

I have installed a Omada SL-1226P unmanaged switch on our second floor. From that switch, I have our WAN connection in Port 23 and an ethernet connection to a SG2428P Managed Switch located on the first floor. I have 4 VLANs setup on the 2428 and have a controller OC-200 and a gateway, 605, connected to the 2428. I also have 5 APs on the 2428. Everything works as planned on the first floor. Internet is great all over the first floor.

Now here lies the problem, I connect APs on the second floor into the 1226 on any ports and never can see them to adopt or provision. They are getting power from the 1226 but never show up using the controller. I can take the same APs and plug them into the 2428 on the first floor and they work great. 

I have a connection from the 1226 to the 2428, remember that is my WAN port coming from port 23 on the 1226 to the WAN port on the 605. I'm thinking there is something with port 24 and 23 on the 1226? I'm stumped.

I don't know much about the 1226 other than we want to connect APs and Security Cameras to it.

I appreciate any help offered.

Thanks,

Griff

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:APs connected to TL-SL1226P with a connection to a managed TL-SG2428P-Solution
2023-12-13 02:30:10 - last edited 2023-12-18 06:13:52

Hi @GriffSTL 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

TBH, your first paragraph is messed up. I don't understand your topology from the description. It is obscure about the connection. What is a WAN connection on SL1226P? Do you refer to the uplink? Draw a diagram if you cannot describe your network well.

If I follow what you described, and if I understand it correctly as the plain text and literal meaning, you, of course, face a problem with adoption when you place them on SL1226P.

GriffSTL wrote

I have a connection from the 1226 to the 2428, remember that is my WAN port coming from port 23 on the 1226 to the WAN port on the 605. I'm thinking there is something with port 24 and 23 on the 1226? I'm stumped.

I don't know much about the 1226 other than we want to connect APs and Security Cameras to it.

Thanks,

Griff

Yup. It is not a proper setup. Here's the issue. I guess you have two subnets. Is that right? So, check your network subnets. Fix this before anything else. Judging from what you said here and in the first paragraph, I think you have two subnets at least and that's the reason why you cannot get it adopted on the SL1226P.

It can work but it is not correct if you want to set up a proper network. Search for a basic network diagram demo on Google and find a basic setup.

Follow the most basic instructions on the official website, and search keywords "fail to discover devices". In this guide, you will get the answer to your question.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:APs connected to TL-SL1226P with a connection to a managed TL-SG2428P-Solution
2023-12-13 02:30:10 - last edited 2023-12-18 06:13:52

Hi @GriffSTL 

TBH, your first paragraph is messed up. I don't understand your topology from the description. It is obscure about the connection. What is a WAN connection on SL1226P? Do you refer to the uplink? Draw a diagram if you cannot describe your network well.

If I follow what you described, and if I understand it correctly as the plain text and literal meaning, you, of course, face a problem with adoption when you place them on SL1226P.

GriffSTL wrote

Thanks,

Griff

Yup. It is not a proper setup. Here's the issue. I guess you have two subnets. Is that right? So, check your network subnets. Fix this before anything else. Judging from what you said here and in the first paragraph, I think you have two subnets at least and that's the reason why you cannot get it adopted on the SL1226P.

It can work but it is not correct if you want to set up a proper network. Search for a basic network diagram demo on Google and find a basic setup.

Follow the most basic instructions on the official website, and search keywords "fail to discover devices". In this guide, you will get the answer to your question.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:APs connected to TL-SL1226P with a connection to a managed TL-SG2428P
2023-12-13 16:55:09

@Clive_A Maybe this will make sense...

Options
Re:APs connected to TL-SL1226P with a connection to a managed TL-SG2428P
2023-12-15 01:45:00

Hi @GriffSTL 

GriffSTL wrote

@Clive_A Maybe this will make sense...

Yes, I got it. This is what I understand from your plain text, the literal meaning of your original post. This symptom is expected and normal. No fault in any devices.

So, I have pointed out in the previous reply that "you might have two subnets". You only have one if the arrow-pointed device is a bridge modem.

When you connect in this way, you won't adopt the EAP. Omada discovery is based on LAN broadcast.

In my previous reply, I pointed out what article you should refer to on how to install and connect it.

Options
Re:APs connected to TL-SL1226P with a connection to a managed TL-SG2428P - SOLVED
2023-12-15 17:12:47

@Clive_A Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It finally sunk into my thick skull on what you were telling me. I moved the 605 GW to allow a direct connection to the WAN port and then went on the LAN trunk to the upstairs switch. I then connected the upstairs switch to the downstairs switch and everything came up. I didn't think about the 2 subnets, even after you explained it. So now, all good!! Thanks!!!!

Options