Will there be low-power WiFi 7 AP in the future?

2024-02-29 07:45:57

Hi there, 

when looking at the new EAP7834 for example, the power consumption really is from another planet. 39 Watts is just mind blowing, because where previously the AP was using a mere 10 Watts (which is already a lot) were having a 4 fold increase in power consumption now, which requires an upgrade in the distribution as well (more power, more cooling) and the most concerning part for me is:

it just takes 3-4 years for the energy consumption of the device being more expensive then the device itself. 

Thats just wrong. 

even the smallest APs are still consuming way over 20 Watts. Something is going in the wrong direction here. 

There should be at least adaptive power consumption, when no client is connected, the AP should go as low as 1 Watt (more isnt required to perform all the tasks in standby). 

TPLink has to do something about this, its a major concern for CO2 footprint already.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Will there be low-power WiFi 7 AP in the future?
2024-02-29 15:19:21

@RobertMEF 

I'm going to say NO... because SMB/Enterprise Wi-Fi 7 APs is being pushed for high client count and stability.  Which needs more power when you're reaching up there in the high client area.  

Bigger chipsets and radios = high power.  On top of high client count = more more power. 

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2024-02-29 17:51:14

@KimcheeGUN 

yes and no to your answer.

Even if there is a high max-power usage, the typical enterprise use is still like 5-10% utilisation of most APs during business hours and 0-1% during non-business hours.

So there is actually a lot of time where the Aps are idle and therefore should go as low as 1W and less (which is perfectly possible while still providing all features).

We are also facing the issue, that enterprises have to be carbon neutral and when the APs are using a significant part of the entire office CO2 budget, than there is clearly something wrong. And currently this is the case. You can connect up to 25 MacBook Pro to one AP and still the one AP is going to use more power then all the MacBooks together. ...? 

So clearly something is wrong and MUST be changed. 

Just thing about that slowly... the EAPs are using MORE power than the rest of the office hardware in the building

Options
2024-03-08 21:57:46

@RobertMEF 

looks like nobody cares about low-power consumption, even though its neccessary to upgrade everything (new PoE switches, more AC power for the network-room...).

How could it be, that personal devices use less and less energy while having the same level of performance, when the network hardware is just increasing exponentially? 

Options