Assign specific IP address to switch port

2024-04-17 21:12:14 - last edited 2024-04-18 03:32:08
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: (TL-)SG2210P(UN)_V5_5.20.0 Build 20230818

Hello TP-Link friends,

I'm new in my work and the old workers that quit a time ago created a way to recieve a specific IP address in every ethernet port from TL-SG2210P switch.

We need to replicate this because we install ip cameras and the NVR (the camera controller) shows the camera in some specific order in the screen. We need that if the client changes the camera, it's shown in the same order.

I read the official user manuals but didnt find useful information to achieve that. ¿can you guide me to achieve this setting?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Assign specific IP address to switch port-Solution
2024-04-18 03:18:58 - last edited 2024-04-18 03:32:08

Hi @GabrielBV 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

IMPB = IP MAC Port Binding.

I think this is what you need.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Assign specific IP address to switch port-Solution
2024-04-18 03:18:58 - last edited 2024-04-18 03:32:08

Hi @GabrielBV 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

IMPB = IP MAC Port Binding.

I think this is what you need.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Assign specific IP address to switch port
3 weeks ago

@Clive_A Hello Clive_A, thanks for the answer.

The solution that you give it's useful but dont solve my problem, because the client has about 3 or 4 "back up cameras" and we don't know what camera will fail and the 3 or 4 cameras will be connected in any port, so link a ip to a mac address don't solve my requirement, because i need to recieve the same ip address in the same port that was connected the camera that failed.

What i need it's to assign an IP Address to any camera that connect to an specific switch port.

I think that my last colleagues used single port VLAN to solve that, but i dont know how to link an specific IP from DHCP server from the switch to a specific VLAN

Options
Re:Assign specific IP address to switch port
Friday

@GabrielBV 

This may be higher than the switch.

It's safe to assume the clients (the IP cams) use DHCP to get their network details (IP add, GW, mask, etc).

If Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) can be enabled on the switches, you may be able to get what you are after using DNSmasq as the DHCP server for that subnet.

Using DNSmasq, you should be able to create a config that inspects the DHCP request from any client and determine the switch port to which the client is connected.

Then, DNSmasq should be able to send a specific IP address to the DHCP client plugged into that port.

When a failed camera was replaced, the new camera would get the same IP address as the old one had.

Using a non TP-Link switch, we used this technique to PXE boot Linux hosts and the their hostnames / IP addresses would derived from LLDP to be unique within the rack (based on the port to which they were connected). It did require a little bit of creativity on DNSmasq, but it worked.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 182

Replies: 3

Related Articles