NTP in TL-SG3210XHP-M2-V2.0 cannot use DNS entry - must be IP and it's failing

2024-04-22 23:12:05
Tags: #NTP
Model: TL-SG3210XHP-M2  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.0 Build 20220322 Rel.62255

I have two TL-SG3210XHP-M2 (one is V1.0/V1.6 and the other is V2.0).

They both cannot use an IP address for the NTP servers

They come prepopulated with two IP addresses (133.100.9.2 and 139.78.100.163) and they seem to be working.

I want to change to 1.us.pool.ntp.org and 2.us.pool.ntp.org.

The GUI will on either switch not let me use DNS entries, only IP addresses. 

I looked up NTP servers that use IP addresses (there are some in MA and CO), and they all fail to update. They may not be the "correct" for what the switches are using.

My assumption is that the 2 prepopulated IP addresses are updating, so the switches seem to have full access to the Internet.

No other NTP client on my network has issues using any of the us.pool.ntp.org, but I've never been forced to use an IP address for NTP before.

What is the best way to handle this?

Options
1 Reply
Re:NTP in TL-SG3210XHP-M2-V2.0 cannot use DNS entry - must be IP and it's failing
2024-04-23 08:23:30

Hi @ticedoff8 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.
It does not support FQDN.

IP should be working and syncing unless the Internet is not connected.

Can you check if you can ping these IPs from a PC connected to the switch?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options