TL-SG2218 DHCP server pool range and fixed IP addresses limitation
TL-SG2218 DHCP server pool range and fixed IP addresses limitation
2024-05-25 11:23:08 - last edited 2024-05-27 03:00:19
Tags: #DHCP
Model: TL-SG2218  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.20.0 Build 20230818 Rel.72032

Hello,

Recently I've bought a TL-SG2218 (v1.20 hardware Omada, which seems to be a relabeling of v1 Jetstream), intending to use it's DHCP server feature for multiple VLANs.

It appears this L3 feature is very limited in functionality.

There doesn't appear to be a possibility to configure a pool range (e.g. start at 192.168.178.20, 50 addresses). The pool always seems to start at the first IP-address available for the network range without possibility to choose anything different for dynamic assignments.

Also the fixed IP assignments ("Manual binding") seems to be limited to only 100 assignments across all VLANs together.

Due to these limitations the switch does not meet what I was looking for.

Are my observations correct or am I overlooking something?

Is there new(er) firmware which adds pool ranges and more fixed IP addresses?

Regards,

Steely

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TL-SG2218 DHCP server pool range and fixed IP addresses limitation-Solution
2024-05-25 12:16:26 - last edited 2024-05-27 03:00:19

Hi  @SteelyDunes 

If it plays as a DHCP server, it serves the whole range of the CIDR you set.

It is not a layer 3 switch but a L2+ switch. And, for the L3 we have, the system and mechanism is basically the same with additional L3 features.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:TL-SG2218 DHCP server pool range and fixed IP addresses limitation-Solution
2024-05-25 12:16:26 - last edited 2024-05-27 03:00:19

Hi  @SteelyDunes 

If it plays as a DHCP server, it serves the whole range of the CIDR you set.

It is not a layer 3 switch but a L2+ switch. And, for the L3 we have, the system and mechanism is basically the same with additional L3 features.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TL-SG2218 DHCP server pool range and fixed IP addresses limitation
2024-05-25 12:32:40 - last edited 2024-05-25 12:33:57

Hi  @Clive_A,

The features listed between L2+ and L3 switches are the same. From those lists it is not possible to determine differences, or where the limitiations are. Based on the feature list I don't expect the implementation of what you describe as a L3 switch to be any better. It is not listed in specifications, nor does your answer seem to state with any certainty that it does - your answer actually seems to suggest the L3 DHCP server is equally limited. Where can I find futher details?

Not knowing this information for other models also does not give confidence that any of the other products will do better, so it would be a bigger risk to spend a bigger amount of money on such a product.

At this point I'm disappointed with my purchase. I definately do not intend to risk disappointment again on buying one of your more expensive products, especially if your features list are identical.

Regards,

Steely

Options
2024-05-27 01:30:38

Hi @SteelyDunes 

SteelyDunes wrote

Hi  @Clive_A,

The features listed between L2+ and L3 switches are the same. From those lists it is not possible to determine differences, or where the limitiations are. Based on the feature list I don't expect the implementation of what you describe as a L3 switch to be any better. It is not listed in specifications, nor does your answer seem to state with any certainty that it does - your answer actually seems to suggest the L3 DHCP server is equally limited. Where can I find futher details?

Not knowing this information for other models also does not give confidence that any of the other products will do better, so it would be a bigger risk to spend a bigger amount of money on such a product.

At this point I'm disappointed with my purchase. I definately do not intend to risk disappointment again on buying one of your more expensive products, especially if your features list are identical.

Regards,

Steely

1. No. L2+ and L3 are not the same. Use the filter and compare them yourself. Some SG2000 cannot configure certain features because it is not a L3-ready model. Please make a research on this: Omada Switch Naming Format

2. Like I described, I did not say L3 would function any better. L2+ and L3 are equally designed but with different features. As for the DHCP, no difference. The whole point I am trying to express and make you understand is that it is not supported and only the subnet can be configured. You cannot specify a range for the DHCP server.

3. You may try different models from different vendors and find out what's best for you. I am not persuading you to spend more on the models as it does not fit your purposes and meet your expectation of the L2+ or L3 switch.

The current system has been there over the years. We have not received a major complaint/feedback from our contract users and others about the DHCP range issue. Subnet would work for most of our customers.

If you expect a further update to adjust this, please let me know if other vendors can allow you to specify a range of DHCP on their DHCP server on L2+ or L3 switch. I will write a report about this.

Please note that all requests undergo a thorough evaluation by our developer team before being added to the roadmap. This process may take some time, so please be patient if you don't see immediate results. Features with lower priority or fewer user reports might experience delays in implementation as we gather more feedback and compare it with competitor products.
It is important to understand that submitting a request does not guarantee its implementation; only requests that pass the evaluation will be considered for inclusion in future updates.

Options
2024-06-03 02:58:04 - last edited 2024-06-03 03:05:53

I've just run into the same issue on a TL-SG3210

I thought if I specified the DHCP network address as 192.168.101.128 and subnet mask as 255.255.255.192 that might give me a range of addresses, but the switch doesn't seem to issue any addresses unless I have this set to 192.168.101.0 and 255.255.255.0 ?

The issue for me is I usually punch out a block of addresses that I can use statically at the start of the subnet (eg ideally DHCP would leave aside the first 20 addresses and start from 192.168.101.21) etc

It looks like I can use the "excluded" addresses option at the DHCP server level settings to meet my needs, but this wasnt immediately obvious to me - I think this option would make more sense to be part of the pool config as I have to set excluded addresses for each pool

Options
2024-06-05 12:37:45

Hello  @Clive_A,

Regarding other brands that do not have these DHCP server limitations, I'd bought this switch to replace the DHCP server I am using on my Ubiquiti Edgerouter-X. The DHCP server on that device has none of the limitiations the TL-SG2218 DHCP server has.

I am aware that by functionality that device is technically more of a router instead of a switch, but for a device of roughly 30, 40% of the price of a TL-SG2218 it's DHCP server is much more complete. Seeing the SG2218 DHCP server I doubt the ER707-M2 DHCP server can keep up with the Ubiquiti Edgerouter-X.

Regards,

SteelyDunes

Options
2024-06-06 01:02:55

Hi @SteelyDunes 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

SteelyDunes wrote

Hello  @Clive_A,

Regarding other brands that do not have these DHCP server limitations, I'd bought this switch to replace the DHCP server I am using on my Ubiquiti Edgerouter-X. The DHCP server on that device has none of the limitiations the TL-SG2218 DHCP server has.

I am aware that by functionality that device is technically more of a router instead of a switch, but for a device of roughly 30, 40% of the price of a TL-SG2218 it's DHCP server is much more complete. Seeing the SG2218 DHCP server I doubt the ER707-M2 DHCP server can keep up with the Ubiquiti Edgerouter-X.

Regards,

SteelyDunes

If you know that it is not right to compare a router to a switch, you are at least on the correct path. Then there is nothing you should doubt about the router we have. You should try their switch and see if they can allow you to define the range. And it is wise to keep one solution unless you wanna try a different one.

If you are just at a phase of trial and error to find out what model suits you, feel free to try out them and if it does not meet your expectations, you may return it in time to avoid any loss.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 243

Replies: 6

Tags

DHCP
Related Articles