DLNA/UPNP is working erratically on Archer C9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

DLNA/UPNP is working erratically on Archer C9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
16 Reply
Re:DLNA/UPNP is working erratically on Archer C9
2015-07-09 19:57:26
The C5 firmware v14xxxx was also fine, but after the 15xxxx releases the DLNA is not working.

Can you guys please check if you can see your miniDLNA statistics on port 8200 (I think)?

On the first two releases for my C5 (firmware versions 14xxxx) I was able to see it, and everything worked fine, but after versions 15xxxx I don't see the DLNA, nor can I access the statistics.

Please submit a ticket to TP Link, so that they resolve this issue. Rolling back to older firmware is not a solution.
Options
2015-07-09 22:07:30
I'm not sure how I would see those stats. I have just enabled stats but don't see anything related to the media server. (I don't call it DLNA since it is not certified.)
Options
SOLUTION: Media Server requires FAT (or FAT32, etc); NTFS is not supported
2015-07-25 21:13:32
I wanted to share an update - I've been exchanging emails with the TP-Link Support team and we have found a resolution.

My USB disk was formatted with NTFS, which is apparently not supported by the Media Server feature. Making sure that the disk was formatted with one of the supported FAT types (i.e. FAT32) was the solution.

I was initially confused because I could access the USB disk using the Network Neighborhood (i.e. UNC path) correctly from a Windows PC. It did not make sense that this worked correctly but not the Media Server functionality.

Another detail that can make a difference is making sure that if you opt to only share selected folders, they must ALL have the "Enable Media Sharing" option checked. If any of the folders do not have media shared then the media server will not start. Optionally, you can Share All and this won't be a problem.

Also, I discovered that even if multiple disks are connected to the router (i.e. a thumb drive and also an external hard drive), they must ALL be formatted in a supported FAT type in order for the Media Server to work.

I wanted to give a shout out to the excellent support I received from TP-Link. I exchanged several emails throughout the process - they were always timely, polite, and continued offering suggestions until the issue was resolved!
Options
2015-07-25 22:51:49
That's not much of an solution. On my Archer C5 NTFS was supported up until v15xxxx of the firmware. They should fix that issue.
Options
2015-07-25 23:49:22

MarkJohnston wrote

I wanted to share an update - I've been exchanging emails with the TP-Link Support team and we have found a resolution.

My USB disk was formatted with NTFS, which is apparently not supported by the Media Server feature. Making sure that the disk was formatted with one of the supported FAT types (i.e. FAT32) was the solution.

I was initially confused because I could access the USB disk using the Network Neighborhood (i.e. UNC path) correctly from a Windows PC. It did not make sense that this worked correctly but not the Media Server functionality.

Another detail that can make a difference is making sure that if you opt to only share selected folders, they must ALL have the "Enable Media Sharing" option checked. If any of the folders do not have media shared then the media server will not start. Optionally, you can Share All and this won't be a problem.

Also, I discovered that even if multiple disks are connected to the router (i.e. a thumb drive and also an external hard drive), they must ALL be formatted in a supported FAT type in order for the Media Server to work.

I wanted to give a shout out to the excellent support I received from TP-Link. I exchanged several emails throughout the process - they were always timely, polite, and continued offering suggestions until the issue was resolved!

Thanks for sharing. That is an interesting find.

Hopefully exFat is supported, since FAT32 cannot handle a large movie file!

But it's not a great solution because for simple file storage both NTFS, and HFS+, work fine at present. I have 6TB on the USB3 connection in an HFS+ disk, and 2TB on the USB2 connection, as NTFS. And the last thing I want to do is go spend $300 on new drives, just to move all the data to a newly formatted drive. And because who knows which file formats will work with the NEXT firmware update since it seems to change on a regular basis.
Options
Seeing on latest beta firmware too
2015-09-21 10:02:58
I have a Synology DiskStation; you can set it up to tell a router about port forwarding for the services you set up on it.

It worked fine with the out-of-the-box v1.0 TP-Link firmware; my DiskStation told me the C9 was properly compatible and it perfectly set it all up. I was impressed.

I factory-reset the C9 and put on the latest firmware ( Archer_C9_V1_150908_beta ), and now the Diskstation says it's not passing the uPNP compatibility tests; however, it set most (but not all) of the proper port forwards.
Options
Related Articles