Archer T4U with Windows 10 (64 bit)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer T4U with Windows 10 (64 bit)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
42 Reply
Re:Archer T4U with Windows 10 (64 bit)
2016-02-03 23:13:37
The Windows 10 driver just released shows either 325 Mbps or 390 Mbps using the TP-Link utility or connection properties under Windows. USB 2.0 or 3.0 makes no difference. Again same hardware (Linux dual boot) shows connection properties at 867 Mbps. How would I do an actual speed test of a large file? The program inSSIDer shows I'm using channel 157 with no co-channels or overlapping channels with a 100% rating.AC
Options
2016-02-04 02:31:27

ACGilbert wrote

The Windows 10 driver just released shows either 325 Mbps or 390 Mbps using the TP-Link utility or connection properties under Windows. USB 2.0 or 3.0 makes no difference. Again same hardware (Linux dual boot) shows connection properties at 867 Mbps. How would I do an actual speed test of a large file? The program inSSIDer shows I'm using channel 157 with no co-channels or overlapping channels with a 100% rating.AC

If you can, just move a file to a remote shared folder - Win10 will display the transfer rate.

There's also a utility called LAN Speed Test, though IIRC it may come with some annoying extras...
Options
2016-02-04 19:55:33
Hello,

Just wanted to add my voice. I'm having this issue as well. Windows 10, USB 3, 5ghz, latest drivers. I've had the adapter for about a month, it worked fine until I upgraded to Windows 10 this weekend.

Generally it happens whenever I'm streaming media from my PC. The connection randomly stops working at uneven intervals. I have to unplug the dongle and plug it back in in order to get it working again.
Options
2016-02-05 21:14:13
With the new Windows 10 driver I thought my issues were gone but yesterday I had a disconnect again. I had to unplug the adapter from the USB 3 port and plug it in again to get back on the network. This is the first time in about a month I had the issue, but I believe the problem still exists. Why can't they get this fixed!!!!
Options
2016-02-06 20:22:19

Digitaleagle12 wrote

With the new Windows 10 driver ... I had a disconnect again. I had to unplug the adapter from the USB 3 port and plug it in again to get back on the network. This is the first time in about a month I had the issue, but I believe the problem still exists.

For communications, there are always two ends your laptop/pc and the AP in the WiFi router end. Have you checked error messages in your router for the period just before your disconnect ?
Sometimes, a Laptop with WiFi going fine, it needs to have its IP lease refreshed using DHCP, This will trigger a request for AP to deliver one. Usually, it will return the same. Its called a Leased IP.
Imagine you now decides to not using DHCP for you own Network at home, then assign you LapTop with a Static IP (ie a preset IP address that should never be used by others) and is outside of the DHCP interval for delivering DHCP IP addresses.
Assign for example your DHCP IP interval as: 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.200 and then you can freely decide your static IP addresses in the interval under *.100
Try it, and see if it improves reliability, although one month without a glitch is a good reliability after all.
Options
2016-02-07 03:19:30

MikeO'Nexion wrote

If you can, just move a file to a remote shared folder - Win10 will display the transfer rate.

There's also a utility called LAN Speed Test, though IIRC it may come with some annoying extras...

OK. Didn't have a local network, but I do now. Got a workgroup set up between my MacMini (late 2014) with Gigabit LAN to Netgear 6250 router.
Transferred a 1Gig+ file using WiFi from PC to Mac and got a whopping 19Mbps transfer rate even though connection status shows 390 Mbps. Like others have commented the T4U worked fine under Win 7. Way too late to get my money back.

AC
Options
2016-02-07 03:39:35

ACGilbert wrote

OK. Didn't have a local network, but I do now. Got a workgroup set up between my MacMini (late 2014) with Gigabit LAN to Netgear 6250 router.
Transferred a 1Gig+ file using WiFi from PC to Mac and got a whopping 19Mbps transfer rate even though connection status shows 390 Mbps. Like others have commented the T4U worked fine under Win 7. Way too late to get my money back.

AC

That might just be a typo but just to be clear the 390 would be mbps, not Mbps. 19MB/s would not be bad for that link rate on WiFi. Same result for USB2 and 3?
Options
2016-02-09 09:02:02
I gave up and put the Windows 10 PC a Gigabit LAN and moved my Mac Mini onto WiFi. The T4U is now a paperweight.

AC

P.S. I received a private reply which helped me greatly regarding file transfer speeds vs connection speeds. The following was helpful:

http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/kb_kilobytes.html
Options
2016-02-27 17:41:58
This is still a critical issue.

I've bought the adapter to finally have great speeds using wifi only. The drivers are just terrible. You can't even use the adapter without having an issue in the span of 10 minutes. I regret buying it. It is UNUSABLE.

TP-LINK, please fix this issue.
Options
2016-04-15 22:19:05

PRosenberg wrote

For communications, there are always two ends your laptop/pc and the AP in the WiFi router end. Have you checked error messages in your router for the period just before your disconnect ?
Sometimes, a Laptop with WiFi going fine, it needs to have its IP lease refreshed using DHCP, This will trigger a request for AP to deliver one. Usually, it will return the same. Its called a Leased IP.
Imagine you now decides to not using DHCP for you own Network at home, then assign you LapTop with a Static IP (ie a preset IP address that should never be used by others) and is outside of the DHCP interval for delivering DHCP IP addresses.
Assign for example your DHCP IP interval as: 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.200 and then you can freely decide your static IP addresses in the interval under *.100
Try it, and see if it improves reliability, although one month without a glitch is a good reliability after all.

I've been running two T4U's with Windows 10 64 bit now for an additional two months and in general, it has been very stable. I have not had any disconnects in quite a while. I"m using the latest drivers from TPLINK's site.

I'm thinking that maybe Microsoft fixed some code with their latest OS updates? As far as TPLINK's support for drivers goes, forget it, it is non-existent.
Options
Related Articles