Archer C7 - Parental Control Challenge

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7 - Parental Control Challenge

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
32 Reply
firmware update on the way...
2015-10-28 17:17:48

junior456 wrote

I'm happy with TP-Link, but everything points to the old problem of engineers designing something
I do so agree with you.

we want a simple MAC address solution for time blocking
I put up a review on Amazon.co.uk at the same time I posted above (username is "Rich Lee"), and had the response from TP Link to say that in some new routers there is a blacklist / whitelist feature, and that others (including my friends' 9980) will be updated with that feature. So watch out for firmware updates. I do hope they test it properly :)
Options
Re:Archer C7 - Parental Control Challenge
2015-10-28 17:34:49

cgilley wrote

I'm pretty sure that we can do time blocking without white/black list of internet locations
That's my point: on some of their routers you actually can't: you can only whitelist. TP Link's response to my recent amazon.co.uk 1-star review confirms this, as do numerous other posts to this forum.

there is no easy way to locally list out sufficient internet connections
Did you just contradict your first statement?

If you need to scope back access to the world wild web, I would take a look at opendns
That's a great suggestion. I like that it gives the child some responsibility for making decisions. I assume you would need to set up DNS on the router to point to opendns IP address(es). Microsoft Family Safety (assuming you're on the Windows - I believe that not everybody is ;) ) is good as well - there are some category and age filters you can set up for your kids, and IIRC it works by user name.
Options
2015-10-29 19:19:47
Dear Customers,

Thanks for your interest in our TP-Link products and keeping us up-to-date with the newer issues.

With respect to the Parental control feature for the Archer C7, Yes we do have come across the same issues with other customer's as well.

The setup for the parental control feature is a bit limited, especially in terms of denying certain hosts to access certain websites at a particular time.

This cannot be achieved with the current firmware for the Archer C7, as it only allows certain hosts to access certain websites at a particular time. It then blocks all other hosts not specified in the list.

One way around this is to use the Access control feature, which lets you deny a specific host or range of hosts to a specific domain or all websites within a specified time schedule.

We have already improved the Parental control feature in our Other routers such as Archer D2, Archer D9, VR900 etc.

The newer Parental control feature is much user friendly and simple to configure.

It gives you an option for a Blacklist/White list and you can specify the range of hosts with MAC address to deny or allow and the websites along with the Time schedule.

We are currently in the process of including the same newer Parental control Feature in all our other routers as well.

So in the meanwhile, your support and co-operation will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

TP-Link UK.
Options
2015-11-06 11:06:24
Thanks, Melvit. But I don't think that that answers the questions above.

Similar to the other customers here, we need a solution that blocks all internet access per MAC address for certain times of the day and night. I was disappointed to see how cumbersome the TP Link Access Control is.

So for the new version, can you confirm whether or not it has the following abilities?

# Select device by MAC address;
# Enter start/stop times when all internet access is blocked.

OR

# Enter start/stop times when all internet access is allowed.

That's it! Is that available in other or future versions?
Options
2015-11-06 21:23:25
Once again perfectly summed up to the features that some users are looking for. Looking forward to a clear answer from someone at TP-Link.

scottsemple wrote

Thanks, Melvit. But I don't think that that answers the questions above.

Similar to the other customers here, we need a solution that blocks all internet access per MAC address for certain times of the day and night. I was disappointed to see how cumbersome the TP Link Access Control is.

So for the new version, can you confirm whether or not it has the following abilities?

# Enter start/stop times when all internet access is blocked.

OR

# Enter start/stop times when all internet access is allowed.

That's it! Is that available in other or future versions?
Options
2015-11-07 00:09:25
With respect Scott your requirement is not the whole enchilada.

We're asking for blacklisting (or no-listing) instead of only whitelisting. This is a feature in addition to the existing timed-by-MAC-address features. TP-Link have said above that they are implementing it, so I guess we just watch this space for their update when it's ready.

Best
Rich
Options
Parental Controls
2015-11-07 17:41:28
Hello....newbie please be nice

[FONT=Arial]RE: FirmwareVersion:0.9.1 1.2 v002d.0 Build 150924 Rel.53491n Hardware Version: Archer D7v1 00000000

I have just purchased this router, installed and upgraded to the latestfirmware. Everything seems to work however I cannot setup parental controls(Internet Access Time) on any iPod that is connected through wireless. Parentalcontrol is the main reason I purchased this router.

I go through all the steps however the iPod still connects. I have also triedthe TP-LINK TETHER APPbut same issue. What am I doing wrong, I have tried every option?? The onlything I can seem to do is BLOCK assess completely, but this is not ideal.

Phil[/FONT]
Options
2015-11-09 05:43:26
Re Blacklist/whitelist: rather than list all the acceptable website, why not just use whitelist and put either real website ( www.weather.com) or not (make something up)? That way, access is restricted to either one or fake website (essentially none) during set times.
Options
2015-11-09 18:06:40

fourlambs wrote

Hello....newbie please be nice

[FONT=Arial]RE: FirmwareVersion:0.9.1 1.2 v002d.0 Build 150924 Rel.53491n Hardware Version: Archer D7v1 00000000

I have just purchased this router, installed and upgraded to the latestfirmware. Everything seems to work however I cannot setup parental controls(Internet Access Time) on any iPod that is connected through wireless. Parentalcontrol is the main reason I purchased this router.

I go through all the steps however the iPod still connects. I have also triedthe TP-LINK TETHER APPbut same issue. What am I doing wrong, I have tried every option?? The onlything I can seem to do is BLOCK assess completely, but this is not ideal.

Phil[/FONT]
I don't have your exact model, but (as far as *this* thread is concerned I think I'm close enough).

You've spotted the problem: you can block access completely, or you can whitelist specific sites. That's not very good, and TP_link have now recognised the problem and are working on a fix.

While awaiting the fix you might try using the Access Control feature instead. This does allow you to block/unblock, but it works on device IP address instead of MAC address. Since device IP address can change each time it connects, you also need to set up DHCP for the device to give you a fixed IP address for it. I made a post above about this.

HTH
Options
2015-12-11 12:25:24
Between this issue and not offering URL logging, I am either selling back this or flashing Gargoyle.
Options
Related Articles