TL-R600vpn jumbo frames and IPSec?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-01-20 01:16:18 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:38:53
Model : TL-R600vpn

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : latest

ISP : cable 300/300

Hello everyone.
I've just encountered a strange issue with an IPSec tunnel carried by two TP-LINK TL-R600VPN routers.
Here's a simple diagram of the network:

My PC [192.168.101.x] <-> NETGEAR 8-port Gigabit Smart Switch, supporting Jumbo Frames <-> TL-R600VPN <-> {IPSec VPN via Internet} <-> TL-R600VPN <-> HP 24-port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch, supoprting Jumbo Frames <-> IBM x3650 server running Hyper-V and a few virtual machines [192.168.100.x]

So the thing is I like to keep Jumbo Frames enabled at my side, because I tend to transfer large files to other devices in my local network. I noticed that enabling 9KB Jumbo Frames gives me a approx. 5-10 MB/s transfer speed increase.

Same thing for the remote network, where one of the virtual machines is actually the file server which is accessed by a few computers from its local LAN; receiving even larger files.

What I'm facing is a problem with getting Remote Desktop Connection to work properly when I want to access the virutal machines. As long as I have large frames enabled RDP won't show me the remote desktop after typing the credentials. I am also unable to use local MMC snap-ins to manage the servers (like AD users and computers, DNS etc.). Windows will occassionally ask me for locking my PC and unlocking it with my current credentials, even though my account is not locked out (my PC is domain-joined. DC exists on the IBM server on the other network).

I think this is related to some kind of limitations IPSec VPN has. Is there's a way I can eliminate these strange connectivity issues without disabling Jumbo Frames on my PC?
Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-R600vpn jumbo frames and IPSec?
2016-01-27 15:09:54 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:38:53
I have not encounted such a problem yet, and I am not sure about is as well. But I guess the IPsec tunnel won't support jumbo frame since the ISP network may have a limit of the frame's length. Maybe you can contact the supporter for help directly.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 508

Replies: 1

Related Articles