Help for omada control layout appreciated...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-17 16:24:34

Hi there,

I am planing to improve my network in a small office environment. As of now I have everything tied up to a switch behind a fritzbox with enabled DHCP. So to divide the server related devices from the rest, I want to keep the fritzbox lan and set another network on top behind a router. I want to swap the current switch to a SG2218, and set a ER605 with a SG2210P, some EAP and the clients on top. For controlling, I use a OC200.

Now I´m struggeling with how to make the control LAN (default admin LAN 192.168.0.0/24) available in both subnets, while havin all devices in both subnets on one omada site...  I played a bit and the only working set up is having the OC200 hooked up to the router or switch for the "upper" network, and the other port to the SG2218 in the Fritz Lan with a special Profile at the Port, isolating it form the rest with the LAN (admin network) as default network.

Is there a more elegant way of reaching in both subnets with just one connection, preferable as close to the root of everything as possible, providing information on online status of everything behind it, and not gessing which device could have a problem, because the controller isnt reachable...?

Thanks for any advice...

Cheers

Stef

Options
3 Reply
Re:Help for omada control layout appreciated...
2022-02-18 11:51:31

@d0c74 

According to your description, it is not very clear to understand your topology diagram, can you draw a simple diagram of your network topology?

Also, note that the omada controller has no way of managing other brands of devices, at least that's what I've heard before.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-02-18 17:33:11 - last edited 2022-02-18 17:35:10

@Virgo 

Hi Virgo,

this is the basic setup.

Question is how to get the "control LAN" to work and reach in both zones....

IF the SG2218 somehow shows up as target when setting up VLANS, I could create the VLAN 1 (for omadacontrol) on switch#1 as well as on the Router#2. But how does the ER605 deal with VLANS on its WAN, does it even care at all???

Options
2022-02-19 05:18:47

@d0c74 you actually have nice hardware, but I am unsure about the setup. FritzBox is quite popular for ISP's in german speaking countries and many providers offer routers which can work in router mode (this is mode which you use with available dhcp server) as well as there is bridged mode where wireless is mostly disabled in bridged mode and every lan port gets own public ip address. In your case, if you set it into bridged mode, you would connect fritzbox to your er605 router, then switch to er605. As you do have managed switch too, you can do quite a lot of things where those vlans can use different wans, this is very practical especially for those who would like not only isolation with vlan, but also own/separate public ip or even for additional port forwarding in case 65k ports are not enough.

For dhcp, in general it is good if you have only one dhcp server in your network and for you from pic above it should be er605 where you can also configure different dhcp server settings for different vlan's.

1. In short, check first with your ISP provider if you can run it in bridged mode, pptp or anything else where your fritzbox would supply er605's wan ports wit own public address.

2. Connect er605 to fritzbox

3. Connect other switches to er605 (of course you can connect one switch to another too)

That's it, this way you have multiwan, all devices connected to your network can reach each other. I think this would be more elegant way then you have now.

I connected that way several different flats, where those flats had all their own internet connection and wanted to keep using it but all wanted to be in one network as well as have neighbours internet as a backup or load balancer, isolation, ... . Luckily placing those routers in a flat where er605 is located does the work and gets connected, together 3 cable and 1 dsl routers. For cable I had to disconnect flats in building and connected simply 2 additional coax cables which lead to the server room, luckily server room is just on other side of a wall. Before I've set omada it was quite a time consuming work to update/maintenance those things to the point that it was too complicated, now with omada everything is centralized and they have access only to their sites which they can configure if they need to, I even do not need to monitor it, they do it with phone application.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 610

Replies: 3

Related Articles