Turn off ER7206 LEDs?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Turn off ER7206 LEDs?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Turn off ER7206 LEDs?
Turn off ER7206 LEDs?
2022-07-22 06:26:28 - last edited 2022-07-25 06:31:52
Tags: #LEDs
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20220512 Rel.77113

I just got the ER7206 router, and can't figure out how to turn off all the blinking LEDs.

I don't want to cover the entire router, since that could make it overheat. And a lot of the LEDs are very close to the LAN ports, so tape is not a good option.

Am I missing a setting to take care of this? Or could it be included in a future firmware update?

Honestly this should be done via a hardware switch so the lights can be turned on for diagnostic/indicator purposes, and turned off when the lights would otherwise be a nuisance.

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Turn off ER7206 LEDs?-Solution
2022-07-23 11:37:34 - last edited 2022-07-25 06:31:52

@ImperfectWord Struggled for this myself!

Only way I found so far is to achieve this via Omada (/software) controller, which I've been running efficiently on a Raspberry Pi.

You can control the LED settings either at the site level or on each individual device in the site.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Turn off ER7206 LEDs?-Solution
2022-07-23 11:37:34 - last edited 2022-07-25 06:31:52

@ImperfectWord Struggled for this myself!

Only way I found so far is to achieve this via Omada (/software) controller, which I've been running efficiently on a Raspberry Pi.

You can control the LED settings either at the site level or on each individual device in the site.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Turn off ER7206 LEDs?
2022-07-23 22:54:48

@NittyMDev 

Black electrial tape will fix. 

Options
2022-07-27 22:59:28 - last edited 2022-07-28 01:48:35

@NittyMDev 

I tested this and can confirm that it works via the software controller as you described.

Have you tried it using a hardware controller via the web interface? I'd prefer not to have the software controller running on my computer just for this purpose. It's also frustrating that the ER7206 can't save its settings when it is adopted/forgotten by the software controller.

I hope the TP-Link development team reads these posts. There are two actual fixes they should consider (electrical tape is not one of them):

Either allow people to use the software controller to change settings like this, and then "forget" the hardware to return a router to standalone without forgetting settings. Or please just add a setting in the ER7206 firmware that allows the LEDs to be turned off via its own web interface in standalone mode (this would be the simpler and preferable solution).

The LEDs are probably frustrating for others who bought these routers for home use. It clearly is possible to control the LEDs, so this should be something that users can set regardless of how they manage their router.

Options
2022-07-28 02:24:43 - last edited 2022-07-28 02:27:06

@ImperfectWord When you say hardware controller, if you meant Omada hardware controller, then yes it does have similar options as the Omada software controller.

On the other hand, the Device / Router Settings page (I'm certain this is what you are referring to) itself does not include any sort of controls for the LEDs.

It should have been a basic setting in there and not needing a separate controller just to turn those lights off. I hope they include it in any of the subsequent firmware update.

Even though I use this for home setup, I needed the benefit of additional settings, logging and notifications the Omada controller provides, hence the choice. For typical home use, I agree that having a Omada controller is an overkill.

Options
2022-07-28 02:42:30 - last edited 2022-07-28 02:43:42

@NittyMDev 

Thanks for the reply.

I was talking about the Omada Hardware Controller (OC200 or OC300), since I wasn't sure if the LED configuration setting was only available on the software controller.

I don't really want to have to install software on one specific computer to configure the router, but the Hardware Controller is also more than I need right now.

I had been using a Netgear Nighthawk WiFi router. Last year I upgraded my wireless to mesh but wanted a separate gateway/firewall/router from the mesh nodes. So I just turned off wireless on the Nighthawk, and used that until it died last week (over time some of the ethernet ports stopped working, and then the router started rebooting or semi-bricking a few times a day).

I figured that since I'm using mesh for WiFi, it made more sense to just get a good wired router instead of another WiFi router only to disable wireless again. The ER7206 does everything I need and then some, and the only real downsides are the lack of multigig port(s) and the blinking LEDs. I also considered a Mikrotik HEX S, but don't think RouterOS is for me.

I mention all that in case you have other recommendations that may be a better fit than the ER7206. But really, a firmware update to add LED options to the standalone interface would take care of everything.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 599

Replies: 6

Tags

LEDs
Related Articles