Omada managed switch to any other unmanaged switch question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-14 14:56:47 - last edited 2022-10-16 00:27:11

I currently have Omada controller running on a linux server controlling a couple of EAP670 access points.   I want to be able to see wired devices from the Omada controller and have not been able to find a definitive answer to this.   

So, setup is:

Router -->  Omada Managed Jetstream Switch -->  random unmanaged switch  -->  wired devices on network.

In the above setup, can I see all the wired devices from the Omada controller?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada managed switch to any other unmanaged switch question-Solution
2022-10-15 23:07:29 - last edited 2022-10-16 00:27:11

Philbert, thanks for the reply.  

So i ended up buying a TL-SG2008P Omada SDN compatible switch to test out if this will all work.   Here's the definitive answer since there's a lot of conflicting answers on the internet without people actually having tried it.

Notes:

• I'm using Omada software controller, the linux version 5.5.6.
  • I have have other unmanaged switches down the chain to other areas of the house (HP and 3Com) connected to the Netgear GS316PP.

Configuration 1

In the  in below configuration, I was able to see all attached network devices but the IP addresses was slow to populate but it did work.  

pfSense router --> Netgear unmanaged switch GS316PP -->  TP-Link TL-SG2008P managed switch   (all wired devices was connected to the Netgear unmanaged switch or other unmanaged switches before actual device)

Configuration 2

In the next below configuration, I was also able to see all wired attached devices.  If i had items attached to the TL-SG2008P, the IP address would populate faster.  If wired devices attached to the Netgear unmanaged switch, most items would still show the IP address pretty quickly.   Some of my POE cameras took some time before the IP showed up but they eventually did.  I'm not sure if this had anything to do with the device or because it wasn't directly attached to the SG2008P. 

In this configuration, you can block any device passing through the Omada managed switch.  I'm sure you can do anything else the Omada Controller lets you do to limit the device but i didn't try anything else.  Configuration 2 would be the way to go.

pfSense router -->    TP-Link TL-SG2008P managed switch --> Netgear umanaged switch GS316PP  --> wired devices or other unmanaged switches before actual device.

TLDR:  as long as you have a Omada managed switch on the network, I could see all wired devices on the Omada Controller regardless if anything was attached to the Omada managed switch. 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Omada managed switch to any other unmanaged switch question
2022-10-14 22:30:32

@bw123 

The answer could be yes or no depending on the "unmanaged switch" you have in place.

As the un-managed switch will be connected to a port on the Managed Omada Switch then one of the following will happen.

1.  It will pass ALL the MAC addresses of its connected devices to the managed switch, therefore you will see all LAN devices connected to one port (most likely situation).

OR

2.  It will only pass its own MAC address across, so it will appear as a single device on the port.    Usually "smart switches" do this i find, not common but do see it.

Likely you will just see all the devices on the controller under a single port on your managed switch

Options
Re:Omada managed switch to any other unmanaged switch question-Solution
2022-10-15 23:07:29 - last edited 2022-10-16 00:27:11

Philbert, thanks for the reply.  

So i ended up buying a TL-SG2008P Omada SDN compatible switch to test out if this will all work.   Here's the definitive answer since there's a lot of conflicting answers on the internet without people actually having tried it.

Notes:

• I'm using Omada software controller, the linux version 5.5.6.
  • I have have other unmanaged switches down the chain to other areas of the house (HP and 3Com) connected to the Netgear GS316PP.

Configuration 1

In the  in below configuration, I was able to see all attached network devices but the IP addresses was slow to populate but it did work.  

pfSense router --> Netgear unmanaged switch GS316PP -->  TP-Link TL-SG2008P managed switch   (all wired devices was connected to the Netgear unmanaged switch or other unmanaged switches before actual device)

Configuration 2

In the next below configuration, I was also able to see all wired attached devices.  If i had items attached to the TL-SG2008P, the IP address would populate faster.  If wired devices attached to the Netgear unmanaged switch, most items would still show the IP address pretty quickly.   Some of my POE cameras took some time before the IP showed up but they eventually did.  I'm not sure if this had anything to do with the device or because it wasn't directly attached to the SG2008P. 

In this configuration, you can block any device passing through the Omada managed switch.  I'm sure you can do anything else the Omada Controller lets you do to limit the device but i didn't try anything else.  Configuration 2 would be the way to go.

pfSense router -->    TP-Link TL-SG2008P managed switch --> Netgear umanaged switch GS316PP  --> wired devices or other unmanaged switches before actual device.

TLDR:  as long as you have a Omada managed switch on the network, I could see all wired devices on the Omada Controller regardless if anything was attached to the Omada managed switch. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-21 10:10:54

@bw123 

Hi and thank you so much for doing this kind of test.

I am normally a Unifi person but as it is so hard to get hold of I am looking at the Omada kit. 

I have deployed a small system as a test in a remote location to see how reliable it is before I start deploying it as my main product. 

Current system - Mikrotik SXT LTE6 Kit (currently doing the routing), 1 x TL-SF1005P, 1 x OC200, 1 x EAP620, 1 x EAP225 (Outdoor).

Everything is working fine and actually performing very well, however I could never understand why the wired devices wouldn't appear in the client list.

I have the SXT LTE6 connected to the switch, a TV and CCTV DVR. The outdoor AP is actually using the POE out port of the SXT LTE6 as it is sitting directly below it. 

None of the these devices appear on the controller, yet the EAP225 does appear, even though it is via the SXT LTE to the switch?

To clarify and to get to the point, this is all because I don't have an Omada switch in the system? So if I change the SF1005P for a the small 8port Omada I will be able to see all wired devices.

And to confirm your findings, this Omada switch could technically go anywhere in the network topology and still allow me to see all the wired devices.

Also should I be able to see the OC200 in the device list or will it show up in the client list once I have a Omada switch?

Thank you, 

Ed

Options
2022-10-21 10:49:36 - last edited 2022-10-21 10:50:35

@alldaye 

From my  testing, you will just need an Omada SDN compatible switch to see the wired devices on your  OC200.   The cheapest one, if you don't need POE, is TP-Link TL-SG2008 V3.  Note:  You need the V3 version if you want to use the TL-SG2008

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-SG2008-Integrated-Aggregation-Protection/dp/B08TR19PTD/ref=sr_1_2

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1568

Replies: 4

Related Articles