EAP225 not working with a POE+ switch

2024-01-29 00:45:32 - last edited 2024-01-30 10:37:00
Tags: #POE+
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.1.1 Build 20230921

I wanted to learn about installing AP's so I purchased an EAP225 Indoor Ceiling AP and a Steamemo 5-port POE+ unmanaged switch from Amazon.  To configure the EAP225, I used the passive POE injector that it came with and everything went great.  When I mounted the EAP225 and plugged it into the POE+ switch I did not get any power to the AP.  I tried all of the Ethernet connections on the switch and swapped out cables but nothing worked.  The POE+ switch works fine with a VoIP phone.

I scanned the Internet (including this forum) looking for help.  Most of the posts suggested doing what I already did.  However, I ran into an Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUWJ_lbMt8U) where the author claims that the EAP225 does not work with POE+ switches because it only checks for power on 2 of the twisted pairs of wires where the POE+ switches checks on all 4 twisted pairs.  Thus, when the POE+ switch is trying to handshake with the EAP225, it fails because it does not get the proper reply on all of the wires.  The video was talking about the EAP225 outdoor model, but I am assuming that the outdoor and indoor models use the same handshake (could be a bad assumption).

Does this explanation make sense as to why my EAP225 does not receive power from my POE+ switch?  If not, can you provide something else I can try?  I do not have a regular POE switch, otherwise I would test out this theory myself.

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP225 not working with a POE+ switch-Solution
2024-01-30 05:53:44 - last edited 2024-01-30 10:37:00

@Oldsports 

I prefer case1, and I haven't tried using third-party POE Adapters or POE switches with tplink omada APs together. I usually use the original adapter or tplink poe unmanaged switch and no issue.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:EAP225 not working with a POE+ switch
2024-01-29 09:53:02

@Oldsports 

Here, take a look, especially Option4: Alternative A and Alternative B, if the switch uses Alternative A but the EAP uses Alternative B, they can not work together.

Options
Re:EAP225 not working with a POE+ switch
2024-01-30 01:58:24 - last edited 2024-01-30 02:14:58

@Virgo ,

Thanks for your quick response.  The article was very helpful and I believe it answers my question if either of the following cases is true:

Case 1

• My POE switch only supports Alternative A (power on lines 1, 2, 3, 6)
  • The EAP225 only supports Alternative B (power on lines 4, 5, 7, 8)

The specs on TP-Link's site for the EAP225 state:

• 802.3af/at PoE
  • 24V Passive PoE (+4,5pins; -7,8pins. PoE Adapter Included)

From this I see that the EAP225 accepts power on the Alternative B.  The article states that the 802.3af/at protocol for PD's (Powered Devices like the AP) is that they should accept both Alternative A and B while the PSE (Power Source Equipment like the POE switch) can use either one.  Given the fact that the EAP225 did not light up when connected to my POE switch would suggest that my POE switch is not sending power to the Alternative B lines so it must be sending it to the Alternative A lines.  If this is true, then since the EAP225 did not power on when connected to the POE switch, it does not accept power on the Alternative A lines therefore it only accepts power on Alternative B.  Further, this would mean that the EAP225 is not following the 802.3af/at protocol since it does not accept both Alternative A and B.

Case 2

• The EAP225 reverses the polarity of line pairs 1,2 and 3,6

If this is the case, then the article suggests using a crossover cable for those pairs when connecting with the POE switch.  I assume for this to work that both the power AND data signals must be reversed in the EAP225.  Do you (or anyone else) know whether this is true for the EAP225?  I would hate to blow up my EAP225 testing it with a crossover cable if this is not true.

Thanks!

Options
Re:EAP225 not working with a POE+ switch-Solution
2024-01-30 05:53:44 - last edited 2024-01-30 10:37:00

@Oldsports 

I prefer case1, and I haven't tried using third-party POE Adapters or POE switches with tplink omada APs together. I usually use the original adapter or tplink poe unmanaged switch and no issue.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 214

Replies: 3

Tags

POE+
Related Articles