2.4GHz not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

2.4GHz not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2.4GHz not working
2.4GHz not working
2017-11-06 16:47:49
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi
I have a network of two EAP330 and over the last month or so the 2.4GHz network has become very unreliable.
Clients are most of the times simply unable to connect the network or sometimes connects but does not get any IP from the network.
Other times one or two client is able to connect and works just fine for a while then the connection stop.
It appear to be worse on one of access points and disabling the 2.4GHz on that helps the situation but it is not super stable.

I have tried factory resetting the worse accesspoint and setting it up as a standalone accesspoint with its own ssid and not connected to the eap controller.
5GHz works just fine but I am unable to connect to the 2.4GHz network.
I have also tried updating the firmware to newest version and downgrading to the oldest available but the problem remains.

It feels like a hardware issue but is seams unlikely that both accesspoints should fail at the sane time.

I just want to hear your opinion and if you have any advice.

--
Asbjørn
Options
10 Reply
Re:2.4GHz not working
2017-11-07 11:44:52
How many clients will connect to the EAP330 at the same time?
Which firmware have you updated to?
When 2.4GHz is unable to be connected as a standalone AP, what's any error message?
Options
2017-11-07 14:46:40
I typically only have about 10-15 clients connected to the network at one time. Shared almost equally between the two accesspoints.
I updated to the latest EAP330(EU)_V2_170930 and the oldest available EAP330(EU)_V2_170515 with the same results.

There are absolutely no error messages on the accesspoint. The client typically responds in two way when trying to connect. Either it asks for the WPA key again or just says unable to connect.
When a client tries to connect they appear in the accesspoints client list, but without ip.
Options
2017-11-07 18:11:45
Hi asbjoern,

Does the 5GHz have same issue?
Do you use EAP Controller to manage EAP330? Since you just have two EAPs, I suggest you trying to use EAP330 in standalone mode.
Try to reset EAP330 and upgrade it to newest firmware, and let it work in standalone mode.
Options
2017-11-07 18:47:49
May be there are some wifi disturbances in your environment, try to scan your 2.4GHz wifi environment by some tools, such as wifi analyzer.
Options
2017-11-07 22:59:08
As Jonas said, be mindful that the 2.4GHz space is much more crowded. Checking for other access points is part of the puzzle, but be aware of other sources of 2.4GHz interference: microwaves, cordless phones, and often other cordless devices (cordless mics like those used by presenters, and pretty much anything else "wireless" that doesn't necessarily communicate via 802.11b/g/n so it won't show in WiFi Analyzer). That said, WiFi Analyzer is a great tool for figuring out which channel space is the most open for your access points :)
Options
2017-11-08 18:13:57
Hi Again

5GHz has no issues at all and it is currently running i standalone mode with the newest firmware.
I have tried disabling all other 2.4GHz networks in range and a spectral scan with a Wi-spy spectral analyser confirms that there is no strong signals anywhere on the 2.4GHz band except on the channel used by the EAP.
I only see small beeps across the entire spectrum. Most likely Bluetooth or Zigbee devices.

If i disable WPA i can connect, get an IP but the connections has not useable..

I am really at a loss here,
Options
2017-11-10 15:18:08
There are many devices work at 2.4G frequency, such as microwave ovens, cordless telephones, Bluetooth. When the signal strength is above -80 dBm, it will obvious affect to the 2.4G wireless network.
Try to close these devices and have a check again.
Options
Solved
2017-11-16 00:23:05
I found the problem and it was a weird one.

It was an old Canon inject printer connected to wired network. The only direct connection between the printer and the EAP330 and the printer is through the shield on the network cable.
Once the printer was disconnected it everything works.
So apparently it is possible to shutdown 2.4GHz wifi with noisy shielding.

Thanks for you help

--
Asbjørn
Options
2020-12-29 08:05:25

I just googled on issues surrounding 2.4 GHZ not working on TP-LINK.  I live in Italy and still have to use a modem/router.  I have been using the TP-Link model TD-W8970 which has been pretty reliable but old. It only has the 2.4 GHZ but I wanted to increase WiFi strength within the house using extenders.  So I bought the TP-Link AC1200 (model Archer VR400) and bought two extenders AC1200.  The AC1200 has both 5GHZ and the 2.4GHZ.  It took me forever to get the 2.4GHZ to work and once established it was stable.  And I was able to set up the two extenders and it worked reliably.  But when I lost power. could not get the 2.4GHZ to work again, the 5GHZ has never been a problem.  So I bought another AC1200 thinking I had a defective model, same issue, cannot get the 2.4GHZ to work.  I put the old TD-W8970 back on and the 2.4GHZ works fine.  Is there a fix for this?  I need an increased singnal strength 2.4GHZ to work in my house. 

Options
2021-02-28 01:54:17

I had the same problem with an AC6000X, I could not connect any device to 2.4 Ghz network, 5ghz was working fine. I just went to System Parameters and enabled WMM on 2.4 network and it worked for me

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7264

Replies: 10

Related Articles