Omada: Local users are NOT defined within a portal.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-03-19 18:38:36
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Offering this info for those that are just starting to plan or build out there wireless network.

Just discovered that local user logins are not defined with a portal. That is rather disappointing. I guess I missed that in the manuals but then the manuals are not 100% up to date with the latest hardware/firmware/software versions.

I plan was to have pools of users separated into SSID/portal groups. It looks like that is not possible so now I'm looking into either building out a RADIUS server or creating my own external portal.

The fun just keeps coming!
Options
5 Reply
Re:Omada: Local users are NOT defined within a portal.
2018-03-22 09:19:46
Hi,

Local user is a new function of Portal, what do you mean "Local user logins are not defined with a portal"?
Options
2018-03-22 17:23:11

Tammy007 wrote

Hi,

Local user is a new function of Portal, what do you mean "Local user logins are not defined with a portal"?

I have two user groups; Staff and Teams. I need each group to be isolated to their own VLAN.

Example:
- Create an SSID called "Staff" with a VLID of 72.
- Create a portal called "Staff-Portal" bound to the "Staff" SSID.
- Set the portal to use Local User authentication.
- Create users for the "Staff-Portal".

- Create a second SSID called "Teams" with a VLID of 86.
- Create a second portal called "Teams-Portal" bound to the "Teams" SSID.
- Set the portal to use Local User authentication.
- Create users for the the "Teams-Portal".

With the above set-up, "Teams" users will be allowed to login to the "Staff" VLAN. "Staff" users will also be allowed to login to the "Teams" VLAN. All Portals share a single Local User database.Not sure if this is an oversight or a bug.

Regardless, it would be a valuable feature and can't be that hard to implement. All that is needed is to add a portal identifier to the Local User record. For "backward compatibility" it can be implemented to allow association with multiple portals and make "All Portals" the default. Though I sincerely doubt anyone would want users to log into more than one Portal with the same credentials.
Options
2018-03-26 10:34:35
Hi,

For now, Local User portal function of Omada Controller just share same Local User account. We will add your suggestion in our improvement suggestion list, thank you for your feedback!!
Options
2018-03-29 17:39:37

Jonas_TP-Link wrote

Hi,

For now, Local User portal function of Omada Controller just share same Local User account. We will add your suggestion in our improvement suggestion list, thank you for your feedback!!

Thank you! This is the reason I chose to use 100% TP-LINK equipment in my solution - you actually listen your customers!
Options
2018-04-02 18:01:44
While you are at it, could you look at adding the portal identity to the Voucher portal also? The reason is the same, each portal using Voucher authentication should have a separate pool of vouchers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1184

Replies: 5

Related Articles