TL-R470T+ Bandwidth Control Bug (?) - Limiting speeds at 0.5mb

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-11-27 18:15:13 - last edited 2021-04-20 11:15:29

Hi,

I have another question about my router.

I am using a wirelles access point for the connection of most of my devices. This AP is a converted DIR-822 (My previous router) that has been reset and set-up as an AP client.

This setup works fine most of the time, but I am running into some issues. Whenever I disconnect a device from the network and reconnect, specially when I reboot my phone, pc or tablet (after an iOS update, for example), I can only get 0.5 mb of download bandwith afterwards on that device, when I should be able to get at least 4mb with my bandwidth control settings.

If I test my wi-fi signal using WiFi Sweetspots on my iPhone, it shows a stable connection, but I am not able to use the reserved bandwidth until I reset both the wirelless AP and the R470T.

Is the a specific setting on my router that may be generating a conflict between those two equipments? Or is there something in the bandwidth control that can cause this issue?

Thank you in advance if you can point me out on those things, either some solution, info or tests to perform.

Breno.

Options
6 Reply
Re:TL-R470T+ Bandwidth Control Bug (?) - Limiting speeds at 0.5mb
2018-11-29 07:29:08 - last edited 2021-04-20 11:15:29

Hi Breno

You can check the wired devices wether can get the correct speed. After all, when the devices is connected to the router directly, the testing result will be more acurrate. 

Options
Re:Re:TL-R470T+ Bandwidth Control Bug (?) - Limiting speeds at 0.5mb
2018-11-29 13:21:11 - last edited 2021-04-20 11:15:29

I could, the only problem is that it is happening to iOS devices, my tablet and phone are the ones that have been going through the issue. Reconnecting the wifi doesn't help but restarting the AP seems to fix it for a while. I can try to reproduce it on my mac, and when it happens connect via cable to the router, I'll try that and post the results here. Strangely, that didn't happen before I installed this router.

Options
Re:Re:Re:TL-R470T+ Bandwidth Control Bug (?) - Limiting speeds at 0.5mb
2018-11-30 02:04:38 - last edited 2021-04-20 11:15:29

Breno_assis wrote

I could, the only problem is that it is happening to iOS devices, my tablet and phone are the ones that have been going through the issue. Reconnecting the wifi doesn't help but restarting the AP seems to fix it for a while. I can try to reproduce it on my mac, and when it happens connect via cable to the router, I'll try that and post the results here. Strangely, that didn't happen before I installed this router.

Your topology war Router----wireless clients before. Now your topology is Router----AP----wireless clients. So if you use the same topology of Router----clients to do the test, you can check if the problem is related to router or AP.

Options
2018-12-04 09:32:43 - last edited 2021-04-20 11:15:29

I bet it is about IOS<->AP. Try to change wireless channel manually (6), change wireless bandwidth to 20 MHz (old IOS devices work poorly with 40MHz).

I can only get 0.5 mb of download bandwith afterwards on that device, when I should be able to get at least 4mb with my bandwidth control settings.

Also check this, just in case if you are not familiar much with networking. 4 Megabits equals exactly 0,5 Megabytes :)

Options
Re:Re:TL-R470T+ Bandwidth Control Bug (?) - Limiting speeds at 0.5mb
2018-12-06 14:29:03 - last edited 2021-04-20 11:15:29

Mitya wrote

I bet it is about IOS<->AP. Try to change wireless channel manually (6), change wireless bandwidth to 20 MHz (old IOS devices work poorly with 40MHz).

I can only get 0.5 mb of download bandwith afterwards on that device, when I should be able to get at least 4mb with my bandwidth control settings.

Also check this, just in case if you are not familiar much with networking. 4 Megabits equals exactly 0,5 Megabytes :)

Hi Mitya, I have made some more tests and I strongly believe now that the problem is the D-link Router converted to AP. Yesterday, my connection almost stopped on both the macbook, iphone and apple TV, at the same time. I managed to restart only the AP, and it fixed the issue without even needing to log in to the router.

But I'll try those settings on the AP and see if it works, I don't have an old device though, I had this issue with an iPhone 7 Plus, and I just got a XS Max, definitely not old haha.

I am familiar with networking, that's why I wrote "mb" and not "MB", as Mega Bytes are usually written in caps and networks are measured in megabits, when I say 0.5 mb, I really mean 0.5 mega bits, 65 KBps (like a dial-up modem)!

Thank you for the heads up on the wirelless settings, I'll try those and see if I get better results!

Options
2018-12-21 18:02:28 - last edited 2021-04-20 11:15:29

Just to close the topic, I ended up switching away from that old router-converted-into-AP, and bought a TP-Link EAP 225 Omada - A bit overkill, but it does the job really well.

One of the reasons I did this is due to the tests I made later and this very forum, TP-Link support forums have been really good and you all have been really helpful, while the other manufacturer simply discontinued the product and offered no support - even though they said I had 5 year warranty when I bought it.

So thanks a lot for the tips and the attention!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1994

Replies: 6

Related Articles