Same SSID tagged on different VLANs depending on the APs location with AURANET

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-06 12:27:27 - last edited 2019-05-06 18:47:42
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi guys, I want to know with the TP-Link CAP APs and one AC50 controller I can accomplish to have one single SSID (that is propagate acoss all my envoronment) with multiple VLANs depending on where the APs are placed. I mean:
I have 3 different departments located in 3 different sites and they are connected each other with optical fiber.
But the 3 departments are on 3 different subnets (on different VLANs of course) routed and reachable each other.
So let us say the AP1 is located on site1 (headquarter) and untagged on VLAN10, the AP2 is located on site2 untagged on VLAN20 and the AP3 on site3 untagged on VLAN30.
Is one single AC50, located in site1 able to manage APs that are located on different VLANs?
I underline that the 3 VLAN's subnets are routed each other by the central L3 switch but obviously VLAN20 and VLAN30 are only defined in the related department's sites and not in the headquarter.
In other words the AC50 should be able to manage APs on its subnet (172.26.10.0/24) but also the AP's located on 172.26.20.0/24 and 172.26.30.0/24.
Is it possible? Alternatively if the AC50 cannot discover APs outside of its subnet is there a way to add it manually or to say to the APs on site2 and 3 that their contoller is 172.26.10.1 for example?
The only way for me to workaround this is to create an unique VLAN for whole the sites designed to the APs management.
Then the next step is:
I want to create a unique SSID and I would like the users could connect on the same SSID all over the sites.
So for the same SSID the APs located in the site1 should bind the traffic on the VLAN10, the APs located in the site2 should bind the traffic on VLAN20 and the APs in the site3 should bind the traffic on VLAN30.
For what I see in AC50: Wireless > Wireless Service > Radio Binding it seems it should be possible to bind APs to different VLANs for the same SSID, but I don't have a real equipment to test it.
Can somebody confirm me this?

For me it's very important so users can freely move along the 3 sites with their laptops/mobiles/wifi handset attaching the same SSID with the same authentication method and everything is managed by one single AC50 controller.
Thank you very much in advance for your kind attention.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Same SSID tagged on different VLANs depending on the APs location with AURANET
2019-05-07 07:03:39 - last edited 2019-05-08 10:13:13

Reading the AC50's user guide at "1.1.2 Manage CAPs in Different Network Segment" the only statement is:

"In this situation, the router acting as the CAPs' DHCP server should support option 60 and option 138 in DHCP settings."

but nothing else :(

Can anybody tell me how to configure these options 60 and 138 in the DHCP under Windows Server 2012 R2?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 829

Replies: 1

Related Articles