VPN Router to Act as VPN Client & VPN Server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-05 18:34:21 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:10:04
Model: TL-R600VPN  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I am trying to find a solution for a customer, but it is not clear if I'm going to be able to do what they need without going to full enterprise grade hardware (which they cannot afford).  They are currently using a higher-end consumer grade wireless router to provide Wifi/Wired connectivity, as well as host a VPN Client to Private Internet Access (PIA), and they also have inbound VPN connections which the router hosts the VPN Server for as well.  Some devices are configured to use the outbound VPN, while others are not and it is creating a support nightmare.  The router will suddently stop passing traffic for VPN devices, and they often overwhelm the CPU of the router.  Anyways, that's just abit of background.

What I'm seeking to know, is whether something like the TL-R600VPN would help.  As I understand, it'll have no issue with the inbound VPN connections, but it's not clear whether it will support the outbound VPN Client to PIA (and secondary to the function itself, still support the routing rules for some devices not on the VPN, and some devices which are on the VPN, but certain ports/domains are excluded).

I'm almost at the point where I'm going to buy one just to try, but figured I could ask here to see if anyone has one and can confirm.  

I've also considered similar routers such as the Linksys LRT214, Cisco RV180, D-Link DSR-250 etc, but it's unclear if they offer the VPN "Client" function.

Thanks everyone!

Options
2 Reply
Re:VPN Router to Act as VPN Client & VPN Server
2019-06-06 01:08:56 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:10:04

Hi SkydiveGuy

As I know, R600VPN v4 supports VPN client, but it's for L2TP and PPTP not IPsec. When R600VPN v4 connects to the VPN server, the clients behind R600VPN can access the source the VPN server, but VPN server cannot access the source of R600VPN. 

Options
Re:Re:VPN Router to Act as VPN Client & VPN Server
2019-06-06 01:13:59 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:10:04

Thank you @Andone! That's great. 

PIA supports inbound connections via L2TP and PPTP, so that will work great!  With your advice, I think I'll order one and see if I can get it configured as mentioned above.  I'll try to remember to post an update here as well.

Thank you so much!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1199

Replies: 2

Related Articles