VLAN Tagging Question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VLAN Tagging Question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
VLAN Tagging Question
VLAN Tagging Question
2019-08-06 14:25:49
Model: TL-SG1016PE  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1

I'm having trouble getting this device to play nice with my network, but I wanted to see if anyone could spot a mistake I've made before I try to return it.

I have a Linksys router loaded with LEDE that has VLAN tagging enabled. I also have a Ubiquiti wireless access point setup to connect wireless devices to one of the 4 VLANs I have setup for the network.

The WAP seems to require an untagged connection, so I had that connected directly to the back of the router, with the VLAN ID for my LAN untagged. That worked fine.

My goal in purchasing the switch from tp-link was to consolidate some of the things in my networking rack (PoE injector, unmanaged switch) while also expanding my possibilities (e.g. add more Ethernet runs for VoIP lines or security cameras).

Here's the rub. I have two PCs that I want to be on a VLAN I've created for devices I don't fully trust with my LAN traffic (think things like media players or thermastats).

The way this used to be handled was that I had Port1 of the router connected to my WAP with tagging as follows:

VL1 - untagged (LAN)

VL2 - tagged

VL3 - tagged

VL4 - tagged

Then I had a 5-port switch plugged into Port2 that the PCs were connected to, with tagging as follows:

VL1 - off

VL2 - off

VL3 - untagged (untrusted devices)

VL4 - off

When I went to setup the tp-link, I didn't exactly know what to do, especially with tagging for the port on the switch that would become the "uplink" to the router. I also didn't know what to do to the tagging for the port on the router that connected to the switch.

Given these requirements, what might you recommend I do with the tagging of these two ports?

I am using Port1 on the switch to connect to Port1 of the router, Port8 on the switch to connect to the WAP, and Port15-16 to connect the two PCs. I've never managed to get the PCs to connect to the right VLAN, they always get addressed an IP from the LAN VLAN.

Any help is appreciated! 

Options
2 Reply
Re:VLAN Tagging Question
2019-08-07 03:10:32

If your router supports VLAN, it will be easy to set up the VLAN to isolate different devices.

The port of the router that connected to the switch and the port of the switch connected to the router should belong to all VLANs and should be tagged.

The port of the switch that connected to your PC and AP just need to belong their own VLAN and untagged. (As you said they don't support VLAN tag) You also need to set up PVID according to which VLAN they belong to.

Options
Re:Re:VLAN Tagging Question
2019-08-08 19:20:22 - last edited 2019-08-08 19:22:13

Thank you for your help!

For anyone else having trouble...

1) I had to setup the router to "untag" the LAN VLAN on the connecting port, otherwise I couldn't communicate with the new switch.

2) Once I was connected, I followed the suggestions from @Andone; however, I still wasn't able to communicate with the PCs that don't support VLAN tagging.

3) I untagged Ports 1 and 15-16 from the "Default" VLAN (PVID 1).

4) I lost connection to the switch at that point, but regained it once I tagged the LAN VLAN in the router on the connecting port.

5) The PCs connected to Ports 15-16 needed to be unplugged from the switch in order to obtain the IP Addresses that were reserved for them on their VLANs.

I might've been too tired when I first attempted this. It was all very simple. Thanks again, @Andone!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1654

Replies: 2

Related Articles