TL-SG1016PE VLAN set up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-SG1016PE VLAN set up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TL-SG1016PE VLAN set up
TL-SG1016PE VLAN set up
2019-08-13 18:34:03
Model: TL-SG1016PE  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

So I contacted support and they said that I needed to set up a VLAN to accomplish what I am asking for.  I took their directions and tried but with no luck.  So I'm wondering if someone can help me with a VLAN for dummies tutorial.  Here is what I would to do.  Back story:  I do a lot of live streaming for UCF and I use a Tricaster 8000 with NDI capabilities.  I just got new cameras that use the same Network Delivery Interface protocol and would like to start using them.  Power, video and control all use the same Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable.  These all go into my T-Link switch and then the switch is connected to the university network to access YouTube or Facebook.  UCF IT does not like the idea of a "rogue" switch on the network. What I would like to do is set 2-3 ports that access the network, with the streaming computer on one of those ports, and then the remaining ports stay within in their own VLAN so they don't connect to the network, but I need the streaming computer to also talk to that VLAN so it can connect with the cameras for video.  

I'm having trouble setting up that senario.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you

David

Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-SG1016PE VLAN set up
2019-08-14 01:12:37 - last edited 2019-08-14 01:13:57

DStoneburner wrote

What I would like to do is set 2-3 ports that access the network, with the streaming computer on one of those ports, and then the remaining ports stay within in their own VLAN so they don't connect to the network, but I need the streaming computer to also talk to that VLAN so it can connect with the cameras for video.  

If your streaming computer is VLAN-aware (e.g. if it's a Linux system), define the two VLANs for two subnets there. If it is a multi-homed computer (e.g. a server with two network interfaces) you can set up two subnets w/o VLANs and connect them to two different switch ports assigned to separate VLANs.

Otherwise you need Inter-VLAN routing, either on a managed switch or by using routes on your router. AFAIK, the TL1016PE does not support Inter-VLAN routing, since it is an Easy Smart switch, but I have no TL1016 to verify.

Just imagine that the two VLANs are two subnets and you need to either connect the streaming computer to those two subnets or use routing. VLANs are only a way to handle two or more subnets with one switch to avoid having two (physicaly separate) switches.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1568

Replies: 1

Related Articles