How to use Access Control Rules to isolate/restrict LAN segments?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-15 04:58:51 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:01:29
Model: TL-R470T+  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.2.2

I have a wired network (TL-R470T+) and 2 wireless networks (main and guest — Deco M5) that I’d like to separate into different LAN segments as follows:

1. 10.1.1.x = Wired and wireless devices with full access to the internet and each other. My home automation (Home Assistant) hub will live on this segment with secure access from outside the home via LetsEncrypt SSL and nginx reverse proxy.
  2. 10.1.2.x = Wireless (Smarthome/IoT) devices that depend on cloud services and therefore need access to the internet but shouldn’t have access to any nodes on the above segment except for the Home Assistant hub.
  3. 10.1.3.x = As above but not dependent on cloud services; no internet access required.
  4. 10.1.4.x = Guest network- internet only; no access to any of the above

Should I use VLANs? Access Control Rules? I’ve never used either so if someone could post a link to something that explains how to set this up, I’d really appreciate it. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:How to use Access Control Rules to isolate/restrict LAN segments?
2019-08-15 07:33:23 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:01:29

You can't do it with TL-R470T+ v3, even newer version. TP-Link's SMB routers doesn't support different LAN networks. You can either use some L3/L2+ switch with Multi-NET NAT on TL-R470T+ or just buy cheap router, which supports different LANs, e.g. I would recommend any Mikrotik router.

By the way, even with Multi-Net NAT you will not be able to do anything, as you will need to have VLANs support, but only the latest version of TL-R470T+ has it.

Options
Re:How to use Access Control Rules to isolate/restrict LAN segments?
2019-08-17 14:28:25 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:01:29

See page 47 of the TL-R470T+ v3 manual for available VLAN settings to segment your LAN. You seem to have port-based, untagged VLANs available.

I don't own one of these. Good luck!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2476

Replies: 2

Related Articles