IS there no Omada Controller software for Macos???? Any work around?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-24 15:57:29
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Is there no workaround?

I was thinking of getting the omada cloud controller and access it via android App.  But does it need to be setup with a Windows PC before working?

Options
11 Reply
Re: Is there no Omada Controller software for Macos???? Any work around?
2019-08-24 18:22:21

Ek9max wrote 

I was thinking of getting the omada cloud controller and access it via android App.  But does it need to be setup with a Windows PC before working?

Omada Controller software is not available for MacOS. Omada Controller software is available only for Linux and Windows.

You could also buy an OC200 Cloud Controller (hardware controller), if you don't want to run the software controller on a Linux or Windows system.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re: Is there no Omada Controller software for Macos???? Any work around?
2019-08-24 18:27:54
Do you need a Windows machine for the initial setup of the omada cloud 2.0?
Options
Re:Re:Re: Is there no Omada Controller software for Macos???? Any work around?
2019-08-24 18:37:21 - last edited 2019-08-24 18:39:37

Ek9max wrote

Do you need a Windows machine for the initial setup of the omada cloud 2.0?

No. You need an Omada Controller - either a software controller or the OC200 hardware controller - to bind it with the cloud. If it has been bound to the cloud, you can use any web browser running on any platform or the Omada App running on iOS or Android to setup your EAPs.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re: Is there no Omada Controller software for Macos???? Any work around?
2019-08-24 18:38:20

Great. Thank you. 

Options
Re:IS there no Omada Controller software for Macos???? Any work around?
2021-03-05 08:54:50

@Ek9max 

Why no mac software? thats terrible, so cos im a mac user i cant use the software? i know i can use my phone but id rather use my pc to configure my network, glad i found this out before i bought these for my hotel as id need quite a few. ill use Draytek i think

Options
2021-03-06 01:56:00

@scirvine001 

If you are going to configure quite a few of these you would be better considering the OC200 hardware controller to maximize uptime.     Running the controller on a desktop can cause issues if the station is rebooted and the devices lose access to the controller.

Its fine for testing or 1 or 2 APs, however in a hotel you really should have a dedicated controller.   More so the OC200 is very reasonably priced.

Options
Re: Is there no Omada Controller software for Macos???? Any work around?
2021-05-29 19:00:19

@R1D2  - Nope, the only work around is to spend $100 buying an AC200 because TP Link is unable to provide free software to Mac users the way they do for Windows and Linux.  The worst, is that their product descriptions make no mention of this.  They breathlessly go on about how the hardware can be easily controlled and configured by their "cloud controller".  What exactly is "cloud" about a $100 metal box with a PoE adapter and encoded software in it?  Come TP-Link be upfront, make it CLEAR that Mac users will need to buy additional hardware to use your EAP's.   BTW....there are an estimated 100 MILLION Mac users in the world....market too small for you?

Options
2021-05-29 19:06:50

@Philbert "The OC 200 is reasonably priced"?  By what measure?  I need to spend $100 for an OC 200 to control a $40 EAP?   One EAP?  Oh....right, I could just go out and buy a Windows computer for this single purpose.....or spend $189 plus tax for Windows 10 and create a bootcamp partition on my Mac for this one purpose.  I'd have no problem with this if TP Link were up front about the hardware requirement for Mac users when purchasing the Omada EAP....or when installing the otherwise utterly useless iOS app.  But no, this information is buried until you go and actually look for the Cloud Controller software.

Options
2021-05-29 21:59:03

@Botanique 

While I appreciate your passive-aggressive rant to my last reply concerning what you feel is an acceptable price, I must clarify that I don't work for TPLink, in fact, I have no affiliation with the company at all, but IMHO their prices are very reasonable.

The OC200 here in Ireland is priced at €60 which is around $85 US, the EAP225 is slightly more at €80 / $100 US.  Prices are obviously different for your location but if you find those prices expensive, then clearly business-grade hardware, in this case, the Omada range isn't for you and I recommend you look at the home grade solutions which would be slightly cheaper. 

In relation to being upfront with the controller.   Firstly it isn't a requirement to have a controller, the EAP can be run standalone, secondary your failure to do the appropriate research before purchasing isn't any fault of TPLink.   Did you not think to check before purchasing?

Options
2021-05-30 12:12:47 - last edited 2021-05-30 12:14:01

@Botanique  If you are running one EAP, not a full software defined network, why not run it in standalone mode? Pretty much all the features can be directly configured via the browser without a controller

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 14356

Replies: 11

Related Articles