Feature requests for Omada Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Feature requests for Omada Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
39 Reply
Re:Feature requests for Omada Controller
2020-01-25 19:30:36 - last edited 2020-01-25 19:32:36

Thanks, ASCII . There are many wrappers, but advantage of start-stop-daemon is that it is included in the dpkg package already, thus it is available on every Linux which can install stand-alone deb packages. Since it just starts the daemon and then quits, this advantage weights more than any other IMO.

A stand-alone deb package should not have too many dependencies since in contrast to apt it does not resolve dependencies automatically.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-01-29 09:42:12
@forrest , Hello!) Please add my vote for the 6th and 7th function. Thanks!
Options
2020-02-03 22:17:50

Please add my vote also for #1, #2, and #7. Thanks!

Options
2020-02-07 17:00:26

R1D2 wrote

7. Client isolation

Please consider to add a setting for »Client Isolation« again. It would be not necessary to change the current existing setting »Guest Network«, which still could co-exist and which could enable client isolation, too.  But it would be beneficial to only enable client isolation without the invisible ACLs being set when using »Guest Network« setting. This would also simplify access from guest users to the OC200 portal when OC200 is the only device in the (wired) LAN.

I too would like more granular controls for client isolation. The guest network setting is too restrictive because it blocks all internal network communications. I would like to have a way to only block traffic on the same subnet so clients can't talk to each other, but they can still access other internal systems that I allow from my firewall.

Is that what you mean by client isolation vs. Gues Network, or is it something else?

Options
2020-02-07 20:50:54 - last edited 2020-02-07 20:51:43

rockin, yes that's it exactly.

A »Client Isolation« setting was there already until »Guest Network« setting had been introduced.

It's no issue for me when features are being introduced for unexperienced users (simple-to-configure guest networks have been requested many times in the past).

But it's becoming an issue for me when basic features for experienced users needing fine-grained control over their setups just disappear.

Options
2020-02-25 21:37:15 - last edited 2020-02-25 21:37:32

Add my votes for @R1D2 's suggestions and controller redundancy

Options
2020-05-22 22:47:35

Hello!
I would like to propose the implementation of an SNMP function (protocol).  

This will help to collect statistics, track emergency situations.  And will help in further network optimization.  
Thank!

Options
2020-06-20 22:05:41

I'm sure i voted on some of these on another topic before.

Being able to query DNS or manually specify names for unknown devices should be a default feature.

While this gets some love, please can you add hostnames to; Access points, <pick one> go to user or guests tab. Here it shows MAC and SSID, but it would be much better if it too shown a hostname (or manually entered name). I'm not sure i understand why MAC address and SSID are the only options here when it shows on other parts of Omada just fine.

Often on the users tab i can see a number, let's say 4 users (including any guests), but if i switch to the statistics page, i can see 5 clients - why is this, is this related to a handover taking place? If not, why do the two pages conflict each other. If i look at each AP under the users tab, they toal the 4 shown under users.

When doing batch FW upgrades it seems to do them all at once for each WLAN group and model, is there a way to stagger this without relying on manual upgrades so all APs don't reboot at once or specify how many APs in a given WLAN group can reboot at once - keeping clients connected at all times. I have only updated FW twice and only have 3 APs in use at home - so this may already be the case.

The ability to run reports on AP, User/Device for a given timeframe would be nice - a usage report if you like.

Portal enhancements;

I would love to see an option for the portal, where an admin can pre-register a user based on their email address, specifying a date range the user can have access, and if applicaable times during the day, for example, M-F 8am-6pm.

The user would recieve an email confirming the dates their access would be availble, which SSID they would connect to and and include a voucher code specifically for that time - on arriving on-site the user would login to the portal with their email address and voucher code - verifying their access.

As they are nearing the end of their day or remaining time on the voucher itself, they are prompted with a notice informing them access will soon expire.

Pre-registering users by email is somegthing we can do at work using Ruckus APs, and it's a feature i love, no running around generating codes, and while the ability to set users up does exist, having this as an email address means once set, the client will get a notification of their details for when they arrive in case the person they are visiting is not about to confirm the Wi-Fi code/voucher for them.

Options
2020-06-20 23:04:03 - last edited 2020-06-20 23:10:54

Rod-IT wrote

While this gets some love, please can you add hostnames to; Access points, <pick one> go to user or guests tab. Here it shows MAC and SSID, but it would be much better if it too shown a hostname (or manually entered name). I'm not sure i understand why MAC address and SSID are the only options here when it shows on other parts of Omada just fine.

Hostname assignment has been added in the new Omada SDN controller, which – according to TP-Link – should be released very soon.

Often on the users tab i can see a number, let's say 4 users (including any guests), but if i switch to the statistics page, i can see 5 clients - why is this, is this related to a handover taking place? If not, why do the two pages conflict each other. If i look at each AP under the users tab, they toal the 4 shown under users.

You mean »Clients« vs. »Insight« pages? The »Clients« page lists currently active clients only while the »Insight« page lists all clients over the period over which statistics are being collected (can be defined in Data Retention settings). You can even display a »Connection History« of a single (user) device by clicking on the device name/MAC.

When doing batch FW upgrades it seems to do them all at once for each WLAN group and model, is there a way to stagger this without relying on manual upgrades so all APs don't reboot at once or specify how many APs in a given WLAN group can reboot at once - keeping clients connected at all times.

You can update each EAP alone w/o relying on manual upgrades if you mean »uploading a firmware file« with »manual upgrades«. Just have the controller check for updates in »Site Settings«, then go back to »Access Points« and click the update icon on the right to have just this EAP updated w/o needing to upload the firmware file.

But I consider this a work-around and I would also prefer a serial batch upgrade instead of a batch upgrade running the upgrades on all EAPs in parallel. That's what the term »batch« really means: having the system execute an action one after another instead of in parallel.

Options
2020-06-20 23:17:26

@R1D2 

R1D2 wrote

You mean »Clients« vs. »Insight« pages? The »Clients« page lists currently active clients only while the »Insight« page lists all clients over the period statistics being collected (time-span can be defined in Data Retention settings). You can even display a »Connection History« of a single (user) device by clicking on the device name/MAC. 

No, not quite.

Users (top right side of the page) vs clients on the statistics page

For example, right now i have 3 APs connected, top right says Stations: Users 4 Guests 0

On the statistics page, first tab on the left side, under current usage, top APs, it shows me 5 clients connected over the 3 APs

Now if i go to the Acces Points tab, pick one of the APs and look under Users and Guests tabs, adding them up over the 3 APs, they total the 4 shown in the top right side as expected.

So why is my statistics page showing 5 clients and not 4. This number varies during the day when there are more clients.

FYI i am currently on the version prior to the latest release, but this has been the case for the last 2 updates that i remember - not a huge deal, just dont get it.

I am not using any MESH networks either.

Options
Related Articles