Omada controller software - Mail Server feature not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-17 20:40:54 - last edited 2022-07-22 06:33:44
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

I'm using the latest Omada controller software (v5.0.29). I just setup my new ER605 yesterday and wanted to configure the Mail Server options so that I get email notifications for certain alerts but when I send a test email to my Exchange 2016 server, which is on the same subnet and working perfectly, the controller instantly shows "Failed to send email to the specified recipient..." so it doesn't seem like it even tries since it's an instant error the second I click the Send button.

I've tested by sending an email from my pc with Outlook and also telnet and I'm able to send emails to this recipient just fine. No authentication needed although I tried specifying the credentials anyway. Tried SMTP as local ip and hostname. In Exchange I don't see any attempted connections when I try to send the test email from the controller.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada controller software - Mail Server feature not working-Solution
2022-01-20 07:38:35 - last edited 2022-01-20 21:39:38

@yorkman 

Omada SDN Controller supports STARTTLS starting with version 5.0, see this support article https://www.tp-link.com/de/support/faq/3260/

This means, you can use TLS over unencrypted port 25 if supported by the SMTP Server, the Submission port 587 works as well, don't check the SSL Option.

When you check the SSL Option, this means only the legacy port 465

When your SMTP Server supports STARTTLS ( which is enabled by default on Exchange 2016 ) see this article

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d6b3cd70-bb2a-49d0-bfd3-f39318a0968d/enable-starttls-on-exchange-2016

your SMTP Server creates a self signed certificate in order to use STARTTLS on your private network.

Omada SDN Controller try to use the secure connections over port 25, but it fails, because the presented certificate by your SMTP Server can not be verified.

On your SMTP Server, you can disable the TLS/SSL Support completely or not advertise STARTTLS to the Omada SDN Controller.

Test on Submission port 587 with certificate issued from a official authority works fine.

Recommended Solution
Options
21 Reply
Re:Omada controller software - Mail Server feature not working
2022-01-17 21:06:38

@yorkman Do you try to send an email to an internal or external recipient? Is you complete subnet allowed to send mails? Maybe in your receive connector omada controller's ip has to be set up to allow external relay for.

Options
2022-01-17 21:26:24

@S-K Thanks for the response. I'm sending an email to an internal mailbox (my personal). I'm allowing everything on my subnet to relay emails so I'm quite sure that's not the issue. It's interesting that that Omada software reports the error the instant I click on Send. I would think it'd take at least 2 seconds before it tried and determined that it fails. I even tried to disable the windows firewall on the exchange server as well as McAfee on my laptop where the controller software is running. The same laptop where I'm able to telnet to my exchange server and send a test email to the same recipient.

Options
2022-01-17 21:35:22

@yorkman the problem is, in my opinion, that there is no possibility of logging what's going on. Correct port mentioned? How do you connect and auth?

Options
2022-01-17 21:43:55 - last edited 2022-01-17 21:44:37

@S-K Programs (except outlook of course) on my local subnet don't need authentication so I don't even specify them in my other apps or when I do a telnet test. And it seems like only the Omada controller software is having this problem as I'm getting email alerts from my pc's where I'm not specifying any credentials either. The controller also doesn't provide any details on why it fails other than to instantly say it failed to send. Regardless, even if I do specify my credentials in Omada to send the test email it fails the same way.

Options
2022-01-17 21:48:47

@yorkman seems 

yorkman wrote

@S-K Programs (except outlook of course) on my local subnet don't need authentication [...] 

For security reasons I would strongly recommend to allow machines at ip level not the entire subnet.

Options
2022-01-17 22:00:19

@S-K Yes of course. But for the time being that's not the issue here anyway. I'm still trying to find the cause or workaround but so far everything is pointing to the omada controller software.

Do you use this feature with this version of controller and router? I suppose someone else would report this problem by now but I guess that depends on how popular this router is and when the controller software was released as it's also possible that this is a bug.

Options
2022-01-17 22:14:34

@yorkman Right, that's not the problem. I don't use mail feature.

Options
2022-01-17 22:19:59

@yorkman

yorkman wrote

[...] I suppose someone else would report this problem by now but I guess that depends on how popular this router is and when the controller software was released as it's also possible that this is a bug.

Filing a (bug) report will be hard without knowing what's the problem. So logging would really, really be a great feature.

Options
2022-01-18 11:09:57

@yorkman 

In the latest Hardware Controller Software 5.0.29 STARTTLS is enabled and it seems, that the Controller doesn't accept self signed certificate from your Mail Server.

If this is possible with your Mail Server, than you can disable STARTTLS only for the Hardware Controller IP Address. In my tests, this works fine without authentication.

Please note, that your mail is transferred in plain text.

Options
2022-01-18 13:05:36

Dear @yorkman

yorkman wrote

I'm using the latest Omada controller software (v5.0.29). I just setup my new ER605 yesterday and wanted to configure the Mail Server options so that I get email notifications for certain alerts but when I send a test email to my Exchange 2016 server, which is on the same subnet and working perfectly, the controller instantly shows "Failed to send email to the specified recipient..." so it doesn't seem like it even tries since it's an instant error the second I click the Send button.

I've tested by sending an email from my pc with Outlook and also telnet and I'm able to send emails to this recipient just fine. No authentication needed although I tried specifying the credentials anyway. Tried SMTP as local ip and hostname. In Exchange I don't see any attempted connections when I try to send the test email from the controller.

To help you better, may I check with you whether you are using Gmail or another email address?
Can you provide a screenshot of your configuration so that we can better locate the issue.

This article may help you, please check it:

Why we need to configure mail server on Omada SDN controller before adding cloud user and email log

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4692

Replies: 21

Related Articles