Facebook portal issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Facebook portal issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Facebook portal issue
Facebook portal issue
2020-02-11 02:28:01 - last edited 2020-02-11 02:29:46
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20191126 Rel.59455

Hi,

Its still the same issue with the facebook portal, whenever you enable this feature every other SSIDs or portal can access facebook even without authentication like in voucher. if you were asked for the voucher number, you can just close the browser and browse facebook, even the facebook check in page, just close it and you can access facebook and fb messanger. For 2 weeks now I've been using the No authentication portal with 30mins free surfing as an alternative for it but it would be great if they can check in to my fb page. Still hoping for this issue to be fix. :)

Note: Only facebook and FB messenger and no access to other sites as of what I know even without authentication.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Facebook portal issue
2020-02-11 14:31:06 - last edited 2020-02-11 14:38:15

@JessieG, when using FaecBook authentication, access to the FB servers must be granted, else a FB page could not be shown as the portal page. That's why other clients using a different SSID inside the same network cann access the FB page, too. The most easy way to prevent this would be to have the portal page server (that's FB in case of FB authentication) either to reject or to serve all requests coming from different SSIDs.

Special policies such as »30 minutes free access, then FB authentication« can be implemented using an External Portal, which gives any freedom to implement whatever auth method, but even then it would require to store every client which already did consume the 30 minutes test period forever (or at least for a very long time). You would need pretty fast servers to check a growing database on each login for clients which have already consumed their 30 minutes free period, otherwise login processing will become very slow over time.

For example, Amazon has implemented such a scheme with their Prime test period of 30 days. They have huge processing capabilities at their disposal. FaceBook could do this also, but definitively an OC200 can't do so.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-02-11 15:13:54

@R1D2 

Yup, I got the gist of the facebook portal need facebook access before authentication. I was hoping there is a way so that only the specific SSID have access to facebook like vlan or rule config that can isolate the SSID and its clients?

If its not possible Its ok because No authentication is already doing what I want but facebook check in will make it more sweeter :)

Thanks!

Options
2020-02-11 16:39:07

JessieG wrote

I was hoping there is a way so that only the specific SSID have access to facebook like vlan or rule config that can isolate the SSID and its clients?

Only TP-Link can give a definitive statement about this, but I just wanted to point out the in firewall rules it is not possibe to specify rules depending on the SSID. It is indeed possible to specify firewall rules depending on the VLAN, resp. its interface. Indeed the SSID can be evaluated by the portal software (that's FaceBook for FB auth).

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-02-12 01:23:29

@JessieG 

Its still the same issue with the facebook portal, whenever you enable this feature every other SSIDs or portal can access facebook even without authentication like in voucher. if you were asked for the voucher number, you can just close the browser and browse facebook, even the facebook check in page, just close it and you can access facebook and fb messanger. 

Let me explain to you what I got first. 

I create two SSIDs, one is SSID1 and another is SSID2. I set Facebook portal on SSID1, but the clients connected to SSID2 can also access Facebook and access the Internet, yes? 

If there is a bug about the Facebook portal, we will try to fix it. But can you upload some screenshots to us so that we can have a better understanding of this issue?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 795

Replies: 4

Related Articles