What's the difference between routers?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-01 04:10:11 - last edited 2020-05-01 06:14:32

One thing is missing on the website or maybe I can't find it, but what is the difference between this sea of products ?

I am after a router but what's the difference between A, C, AX etc.... 

TP Link, don't assume all visitors and buyers are IT professionals.

Cheers

Mike

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:What's the difference between routers?-Solution
2020-05-01 06:11:41 - last edited 2020-05-01 06:14:32

@migo33 AC are WiFi ac (so called WiFi 5), AX are WiFi ax (so called WiFi 6)

Anyway, you can't guess the specifications of any product (furniture, cars, toys, appliances, processed food) just by the model name, you have to read the specifications and compare.

The important things to look at in a router are, basically:

- Type of input (WAN), either Ethernet, DSL, optical connection... depends on where you want to connect it of course.

- Speed of wired Ethernet ports: Gigabit (1000Mbps, better) or 100Mbps (will limit your connection if your Internet provider gives you more than 100Mbps)

- Type and speed of wireless WiFi. WiFi ac is a safe bet right now, the models that say ac1200 or higher mean they support WiFi ac and a combined speed of 1200Mbps (though in practice it's about 500Mbps)

Usually vendors provide a search page so you can filter by what you need (for instance, Ethernet router with Gigabit ports and WiFi ac) and browse available models.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:What's the difference between routers?-Solution
2020-05-01 06:11:41 - last edited 2020-05-01 06:14:32

@migo33 AC are WiFi ac (so called WiFi 5), AX are WiFi ax (so called WiFi 6)

Anyway, you can't guess the specifications of any product (furniture, cars, toys, appliances, processed food) just by the model name, you have to read the specifications and compare.

The important things to look at in a router are, basically:

- Type of input (WAN), either Ethernet, DSL, optical connection... depends on where you want to connect it of course.

- Speed of wired Ethernet ports: Gigabit (1000Mbps, better) or 100Mbps (will limit your connection if your Internet provider gives you more than 100Mbps)

- Type and speed of wireless WiFi. WiFi ac is a safe bet right now, the models that say ac1200 or higher mean they support WiFi ac and a combined speed of 1200Mbps (though in practice it's about 500Mbps)

Usually vendors provide a search page so you can filter by what you need (for instance, Ethernet router with Gigabit ports and WiFi ac) and browse available models.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:What's the difference between routers?
2020-05-01 06:33:13
Thnaks for the reply. I am one step closer to make a decision.
Options
2020-05-01 21:27:20 - last edited 2020-05-01 21:30:07

@migo33 It's easy. Marketing. No big difference. Some times all the same. Just look Gigabit or not and Wi-Fi standards. IMHO TP-Link have too much models of routers and HW versions in each model line.

Options
2020-05-02 00:27:52

@2MEX2 I wish it was that easy. Each ISP has its own standards and Australia NBN is a joke with its own standards. On top of that TP Link have as you mentioned have  way too many routers hence why I always preferred Apples extreme range which where two basically and worked well for me for the last 10 years.

Anyhow seems like I'll keepy archer VR1600.

Options