TL-R600VPN V4 LAN DNS - Resolving local names.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-07 16:06:50 - last edited 2021-12-06 10:40:10
Model: TL-R600VPN  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: TL-R600VPN(UN)_v4_20190227

I have a TL-R600VPN V4.

Configured like a gateway with a telecom modem attached to the WAN port.

It works, Internet connection, NAT, DNS forwarding, UPnP, VPN (IPsec peer to peer & L2TP server), DHCP and DHCP reservation.

It seems to work like a charm, but... I have a problem that make the toy unusable if i'm not able to solve it.

Internal DHCP releases numbers properly. In my DHCP Client list there is the host name for any of the device that gain the number. When I ping the name the TL-R600VPN DNS is not able to resolve the internal name and the host is unreachable, but if I use the IP number.

It makes no sense to me. DHCP distributes numbers and it knows hosts. Local DNS rely should be able to resolve local names handled by DHCP. I supposed it was a problem of IP domain, but I can't find any place where to assign domain (nor LAN host name to be honest).

What's wrong in my configuration?

Thanks, Eugenio.

Options
8 Reply
Re:TL-R600VPN V4 LAN DNS - Resolving local names.
2020-05-08 20:06:44 - last edited 2021-12-06 10:40:10

@Huge 

In your case it sounds like you will need to modify the hostfile on the client computer in order to resolve the hostname to the correct IP.

Here is our business forum that deals with your product where you can possibly look at as well: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business

Options
2020-05-18 07:17:27 - last edited 2021-12-06 10:40:10

Writing static name in the host file of any device is not a solution. We're a bit forward than 1980.

DHCP is distributing IP addresses, I've seen no device in my life that does not copy hostname in the local DNS forwarder. I can't believe it. Must be something wrong in my configuration.

Options
2020-06-12 01:59:51 - last edited 2021-12-06 10:40:10

@Huge 

I agree completely.  I just "upgraded" from another vendor's wi-fi router and now realize that none of TP-Link products seem to local name resolution.  If I can't figure this out soon, this thing is going back into the box to be returned to the retailer.

Options
2020-11-03 21:55:12 - last edited 2021-12-06 10:40:10
were you able to resolve this issue. I'm seeing the same thing too.
Options
2020-11-03 22:38:57 - last edited 2021-12-06 10:40:10
Nope. I'm using the router at home with a bunch of fixed IP's. So I can identify devices from their IP. I have no other device able to serve as DHCP in my home network: there is no solution though. I kept the router on because it's a great toy for the money. Smart and reliable. Never failed IPSEC VPN always on with my office... If it had no DNS issues it would be 5 star... in this way only 3 stars.
Options
2021-02-27 15:59:57 - last edited 2021-12-06 10:40:10

Same here, bought an Archer VR600 as replacement for an aged Fritz.Box.

Everything worked smoothly with little setup time, except for name resolution, hard to belive for a SOHO router. Even though the device list looks very similar - the name can be edited BTW!! - it only shows MAC - IP mapping; the name is just informative for the human reader.

The usual hint to use the "hosts" file only works for PC-ish devices. What about my home automation?  All this had to be changed to static IPs.

Then I heard about mDNS, AKA Bonjour, a modern replacement for DNS in small networks. It helps for some scenarios, albeit not for all. AFAIK current Windows systems have it enabled, whereas on a Linux system you might look for AVAHI services. In my case it came pre-installed, but disabled. Once started, device names can be resolved without router support. For some I have to append the special TLD ".local". 

Not much experience yet, but I thought I should share the pointer.

Schwabix

Options
2021-03-10 17:04:17 - last edited 2021-12-06 10:40:10

A related issue I just uncovered with this device (TL-R600VPN v4.0):

I agree that it ought to do a better job of identifying the devices, but for me that's not as big of an issue because I use address reservations for all my "known" devices (particularly IOT-type like smart thermostats, switches, etc.).  So I end up 'naming them' in the address reservation list (I don't expect the IOT devices to necessarily provide a nice name...).

I've been having some trouble with devices getting disconnected; most auto-reconnect, but some (like an ecobee thermostat) are not real "persistent" in attempting to reconnect.

I just noticed that one device, even though it has an address reservation (which has worked in the past) was showing up as a client with an IP in the 'dynamic allocation' range -- that should not happen.  That's probably not a Wi-Fi issue ... it seems to me that is most likely a failure of the router's DHCP server.

That this DHCP server is "deficient" (in several ways, apparently) explains the random disconnects I've been occasionally seeing ... and never had with a prior Ubiquity EdgeRouter Lite 3.

I've now ordered a Ubiquity EdgeRouter 4; time to go back to a more reliable router!

(I also hope that takes care of perhaps-related issues I have with a TP-Link Deco X60+X20 mesh system I switched to this year ... I'm using them solely as WiFi access-points, so having a robust, reliable router is critical.)

Options
2021-05-21 15:18:43 - last edited 2021-12-06 10:40:10

FYI:  I did a performance test of the TL-R600VPN.  I connected a MacBook Pro directly to the cable modem, and measured (with "Wifi Speed Test v 1.5.7) ~860Mbps download speeds; it was fairly consistent (less than 5% variation over a few minutes).

I then put the TL-R600VPN between the cable modem & a Gigabit switch; in that situation, the measured download speed was consistently ~560Mps.  Clearly the router's limitation.

When the Edgerouter 4 (Ubiquity) is in place to replace the TL-R600VPN, I'll report on the performance again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2416

Replies: 8

Related Articles