Manually point access point to controller?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-12 12:21:47
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.7.0

Hi all,

I'm running 3 EAP225 V3s, all connected to the Omada Controller running inside a virtual machine on my ESXi server.

This is all working fine, but i want to migrate the controller to a Docker container, on a different VLAN that the APs are on.

The problem is, that when the controller is not on the same network (VLAN) as the APs, the controller cannot find the APs. My previous APs were Ubiquiti, and with those i could SSH in, and perform a manual 'inform' command to point them to the controller, where i could then adopt them. 

Is such a thing also possible with TP-Link Omada APs?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Max

Options
2 Reply
Re:Manually point access point to controller?
2020-05-12 13:52:17

@Mkoning872345 

the easiest is to use dhcp option 138, or EAP Discovery tool https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/eap245/#EAP_Discovery_Tool

unfortunately you cannot use ssh as unifi do.

Options
Re:Manually point access point to controller?
2020-05-13 02:31:47 - last edited 2020-05-13 02:32:24

Mkoning872345 wrote

The problem is, that when the controller is not on the same network (VLAN) as the APs, the controller cannot find the APs.

If you still run the old controller, you can set the »Management VLAN« to the VLAN the new controller is using. The EAPs then should appear as »Managed by others« and it should be possibe to adopt them using the device password set by the old controller (you need to look it up there).

If the controller running in the docker instance can be reached by Inter-VLAN routing, you can use the method @shberge did suggest. 

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options