some feedback from a recent EAP install

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-01 22:40:11 - last edited 2020-06-01 22:41:29
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: latest

I just installed 5 APs and the Omada software controller on a Raspberry Pi (rpi). This was actually a residential install. I chose tp-link EAPs on price and features/performance.
1. EAP225v3 and EAP245v3 were both on sale ($70 and $90 CAD, or less with additional discounts)

2. I already had the rpi model 2 not being used. I got it for free, so $0.

3. existing wifi was not suitable with more people home all the time and adding a wired repeater did not give suitable roaming or fix coverage issues enough

4. also installed wiring for some computers; before all were wifi; 100m/330' so far and at least that much still needed for the rest of the wiring I still have to do

The final setup will be 6 APs, but I cannot yet access the locations needed to wire AP 5 and 6. AP 5 is presently installed suboptimally. AP 6 is not yet installed.

Two are EAP225v3 and the rest are EAP245v3, all running the latest firmware of 2.7 and 2.4; 3.2.10 on the controller. All ceiling mounted (except AP5).

All are powered using the included POE injectors; managed (to get VLANs) POE switches are not cheap. No guest network or VLANs yet, but this will be a future change.

Cost of the 6 EAPs (2*225, 4*245) was $513 CAD including tax. 

I used a Macbook for the wireless survey and to tune power levels; most are running very low Tx power. This was easier than I expected. I used both the native wifi diagnostics and an app called NetSpot. The latter was nicer as it auto-updated. Set power to lowest level. Walk around, check RSSI and noise. Adjust Tx upwards until happy.

Observations:
1. Omada controller install on the rpi was quite easy. Lots of guides online to just follow, though some are not quite correct. I should find the one I used and link it here. It doesn't use much CPU with 5 APs and 20-30 clients.

2. I didn't care for the screws/anchors provided with the EAPs, so used my own.

3. Physical Install was rather easy. Run ethernet cable (the not so easy part), terminate ends with RJ45, plug in, mount EAP.

4. Running cable in an existing dwelling is never as easy as a new build. I used Cat6a as I could buy it for not much more than Cat6 or Cat5e. I don't need Cat6a, but the cost difference was minimal. I still have ~670 ft on my 1000 ft roll, but I expect to use most of that for the remaining runs I need to do (2 more EAPs and then wall outlets for computers and other hard wired devices).
5. Configuration was quite easy (disclaimer: I do have a networking background. Others may find this more challenging). I walked around with my macbook, and adjusted Tx power as needed on the fly. I basically set it to the minimum and then increased it as needed only enough.
6. Apple Mac's lack of 802.11v/k/r support is annoying, but that's a MacOS issue.
7. Where is the short (400ns) GI setting that exists in TP-Link consumer routers? Not sure I could use it, but would want to be able to try it to see if it is better or not.

8. I adjusted the load balance RSSI settings per AP and will likely tweak this and Tx power a bit more.
9. I could have been ok with less APs, but give the cheap cost, I decided a few more was worth it vs. the signal attenuation of 5G through multiple walls. The layout here would have required an absolute minimum of 3 APs and that would only have provided ok performance. I wanted great performance, so I splurged for 3 more.

10. My router's wifi (AC1750) is now disabled. The hard wired AC1900 wifi repeater I tried was sent back.

11. Given nothing here supports 802.11AX and the benefits of that vs. 802.11AC seem to be mostly for high density deployments, I didn't mind buying this now vs. waiting for AX APs to be on the market, especially since I expect the cost of them to be higher than what I paid.

12. I used the EAP225s in locations where devices will mostly just be 1x1 or 2x2. I used the EAP245s where I would have 3x3 devices.

13. I used 1,6,11 at 20Mhz for 2.4G as this will mostly just be used by a few IOT devices we have. For 5G, only 36 and 149 at 80MHz.

14. I The lack of DFS channels was annoying. I want my 80MHz, so I have only 2 I can use. This is probably my biggest annoyance, especially since it exists in the EU versions.

Overall, the install went well and wifi performance has drastically improved from before. The places where AP5 and AP6 should be installed are ok, but not yet great. Will have further observations on roaming in the near future.

Options
6 Reply
Re:some feedback from a recent EAP install
2020-06-02 05:31:16

@nojak 

Great feed back. I bought EAP245 last week and still fighting to make web gui accessible when AP is connected to trunk port in my managed switch. Would you have any suggestions?

Options
2020-06-02 12:59:55

@photo 

I'd first try a non-trunked port. Make sure you can access it that way. Then setup VLANs on the EAP and move to a trunk port.

Also look at this thread: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/150479 post 5 and this post https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/174738?replyId=368010

I just tried with one EAP here (forgetting it form the controller so I could access it via web).

Looks like you need to access the EAP first (reset it and have it on an untrunked/access port, or native vlan/untagged traffic on your trunk port, see below). Setup the SSIDs and connect to the EAP via wifi.

Setup VLANs (Wireless->VLANs)

Then you can setup a management VLAN (e.g. 1 or 100 or whatever) via (Management -> Management Access).

Save all that and move to a trunk port.

Or if you have a fancier switch, allow native vlan (untagged traffic) on your trunk port to complete setup, then remove that leaving only the tagged vlans.

Options
2020-06-02 15:21:37

@nojak 

Hi actually I did the setup in the same way you described. Actually I created a post on that with explanations on how I did it

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/210426

But even though I setup management vlan, I couldn't get the Web Gui. I will read through the links you have mentioned and try them

Options
2020-06-02 16:55:30

Hi @nojak,

Sounds great!  Yes, I also have been complaining about the lack of DFS channel support for the USA market.  This is probably my biggest pet peeve with the EAP225/245 series.

That, and, I really wish they offered a model with a 2nd 5GHz radio -- especially now that MESH is cathing on.  Like a EAP255 with DFS & 2 5GHz radios, and 4x4.  Or 1 5GHz and 1 6E radio.

Hopefully they'll revamp the new, yet to be released, Wifi 6 EAP's now that 6E is approved.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-06-02 17:12:36

I'd be happy to just have DFS, which I suspect should just be a firmware change as it is offered on the EU versions.

Anything else may require new hardware, which the EAP620 HD and EAP660 HD may already have (whenever they actually appear, which must be soon due to the ~30% discount on the EAP225/245 pricing).

https://www.tp-link.com/ae/press/news/18665/

Options
2020-06-03 05:27:04

@nojak 

Finally got it working. I re-did the steps, but this time I started with vlan50 and then added vlan60, then moved the ap to trunk port and then changed management vlan to 50. So it is all good until now

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1162

Replies: 6