ssh access is useless

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ssh access is useless

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
ssh access is useless
ssh access is useless
2020-06-05 08:53:33
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.4.0 Build 20200117 Rel. 39932(4555)

I thought I might be able to use ssh from another machine to schedule regular reboot of the AP, but it turns out that although the username is "root", I'm somehow logged in as a privilege-starved "guest" user.

What exactly is the use case for ssh if you can't do anything useful with it.

Options
4 Reply
Re:ssh access is useless
2020-06-05 15:38:52

Hi @perlhead,

I've not tried to use ssh at the AP level.  But you can definately schedule AP restarts using the Omada software server or the OC-200.  I thought this might have also been an option in the web UI of the AP -- but I might be wrong.

I realise this doesn't "answer your question" per se.  E.g. what is ssh good for at the AP level.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-06-06 12:36:07

@JSchnee21 thank you for the answer!

Yes, I could use the Omada thing, but I'd rather not. And while you can reset the device via the web interface, there's no way to schedule a regular reset, which is what I need to do because the AP starts to act funky after a few days uptime.

Right now I'm going for a zigbee switch to power cycle it remotely, but the point stands that the ssh functionality seems to be completely pointless if I can't use it to do the things I would do via the web interface (including reboot).

Options
2020-06-20 16:32:15 - last edited 2020-06-20 16:36:13

@perlhead 

Can you give us a little information about your setup, I have both 225v3 and 245v3s in my setup with a multiide of wireless devices connecting over 3 VLANs and some are heavy users without any instabilities and no need to reboot anyu of them.

Given you said you don't want to use the Omada controller, one assumes you only have a single device - how many concurrent devices does it support or how many connections daily?

As far as i know SSH is there for the controllers to talk to each other or for the Omada to talk to them, I'm going to guess scheduled reboots just trigger a cron job on the controller to reboot the AP on demand, however i've not looked that deep in to it

Below is one of my APs.

Options
2020-06-20 18:15:07 - last edited 2020-06-20 18:21:19

perlhead wrote

but the point stands that the ssh functionality seems to be completely pointless if I can't use it to do the things I would do via the web interface (including reboot).

SSH access once allowed to execute any command on an EAP as root until TP-Link changed this for reasons unknown to me. This change not only affects Omada EAPs, but also Pharos products.

Unfortunately, I was not able to convince R&D to reverse this firmware changes (see this thread).

Regarding daily reboots:

Our EAPs at various customer sites with high number of daily users run very stable over a long time (as it should be). If there would be no firmware updates requiring reboots or no power failures causing a reboot then and when, EAPs and our own gateway would run for years w/o a problem. We have older EAP110/225 which receive no more updates and which run just fine for long times:

Maybe that buggy firmwares of other vendor's APs exhaust their system resources over short time spans so that they need daily reboots, but EAPs definitely do not require scheduled reboots.

Of course, if EAPs would run an embedded firmware made by Microsoft, I would reboot them every hour just as a precaution. ;-)

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3271

Replies: 4

Related Articles