Feature request for EAP225-Outdoor: need to run radartool as admin

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-18 12:48:35 - last edited 2019-10-18 12:53:35

Hello forrest,

we need to be able to run the radartool command on EAP225-Outdoor to detect channel changes caused by DFS. Unfortunately, radartool doesn't work due to missing privileges for the admin user. Same problem as with new Pharos firmware for CPE/WBS (see also this thread), which until latest firmware update did allow to run radartool for many years.

Proof on EAP225-Outdoor:

$ ssh admin@192.168.17.10

BusyBox v1.20.2 (2019-07-22 17:34:17 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin $ radartool numdetects
radartool: wifi0: Operation not permitted
/bin $

This can be easily be fixed in two possible ways:

1. Either grant root permissions for the admin user
  2. or turn on the SUID bit on the radartool executable to temporarily run this command with administrative privileges (see the explanation of SUID bit here).

Please consider to let the admin user run radartool in EAP225-Outdoor firmware. At least, an admin needs administrative privileges and business power users need to be able to run this command.

And please also inform R&D to enable radartool in Pharos firmware, too.

Thanks very much!

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
4 Reply
Re:Feature request for EAP225-Outdoor: need to run radartool as admin
2019-10-21 09:32:29

@R1D2

Thank you for your feedback. Now we don't permit to use "radartool" on the SSH. 

You say you can run this command to detect channel changes caused by DFS, could you please tell us more details about it? 

I think very few products enable this privilege. When the EAP devices are always detecting the DFS, we are not sure if it will affect the performance of EAP. I will consult it with our colleagues.

Options
2019-10-21 10:22:01 - last edited 2019-10-21 11:12:19

Hello forrest,

thanks for your reply.

forrest wrote

Now we don't permit to use "radartool" on the SSH. 

Yes, and this is bad. Even SOHO devices from TP-Link competitors allow to show information about detected wheather radars in the 5 GHz band (for example, devices from AVM).

You say you can run this command to detect channel changes caused by DFS, could you please tell us more details about it? 

I think very few products enable this privilege.

All WBS510 and CPE510 firmware versions from 1.x to 2.1.13 did allow radar detection. This is from a CPE510 with firmware 2.1.13:

$ ssh admin@192.168.0.254
admin@192.168.0.254's password: 

BusyBox v1.01 (2018.03.27-06:46+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# radartool numdetects
Radar: detected 0 radars
#

Starting with firmware version 2.2.0, Pharos introduced Privilege Separation and now radartool isn't allowed anymore. EAP225-Outdoor has disabled radartool for admins since the beginning if I remember correctly. Can't check old firmware versions at the moment, but will check whether we still have an EAP225-Outdoor with first available firmware.

When the EAP devices are always detecting the DFS, we are not sure if it will affect the performance of EAP.

I think there is a mis-understanding. Radar detection aka DFS is required in 5 GHz outdoor channels by law in allmost all countries world-wide except Russia. Every outdoor device always needs to have DFS enabled, no matter which model and from what vendor.

Thus, every TP-Link product using the U-NII2A/2C frequencies (that's 5250 MHz to 5720 MHz) is required to handle DFS and yes, this function of course does always affect the performance of an EAP as well as of a WBS/CPE.

That's why we need to check whether DFS causes excessive changes of channels in a given region due to a nearby wheather radar. The device does such changes of channels anyway, whether we can check for it or not using radartool.

Since we consider to change from Pharos CPEs to EAP225-Outdoor for installations such as this one, we need to be able to display information about detected radars.

Options
2019-10-24 01:31:30

@R1D2 

Hello R1D2,

We have consulted this with our R&D colleagues. And we know that the "radartool" command is not used to check the radar signal. Actually, it is mainly used to create a fake radar signal for the device. When the device receives the fake radar signal, it will change to other channels. That is, this command is mainly used to test the radar-monitor feature.

In our devices, radar-monitor is mainly scanned by hardware. So we should not use it to scan the radar. 

Options
2019-10-24 09:58:12 - last edited 2019-10-24 10:03:19

Hello forrest,

of course is radar detection managed by hardware. But using driver I/O controls (ioctl) we can query the hardware's states.  The WiFi chip maintains a list of channels where radar has been detected in the NOL (non-occupancy list).

I have access to the confidential source code of the radartool command developed by Qualcomm Atheros. It clearly shows the I/O control command to query the ath chip beside many commands to set registers which control the radar detection of the chip. This is the desscription of the radartool command from the source code:

numdetects       get number of radar detects

This is the I/O control querying the hardware:

radar->atd.ad_id = DFS_RADARDETECTS | ATH_DIAG_DYN;

if (ioctl(radar->s, SIOCGATHPHYERR, &ifr) < 0)

If your R&D thinks it's not possible to query the chip for radar detects, then please ask them how AVM, Ubiquiti and Aruba can manage to show radar detects on their APs using Atheros WiFi chips.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1253

Replies: 4