separating MAC-based VLANS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-18 22:09:25
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.0 Build 20180202 Rel.30718(s)

Greetings,

My intent is to separate communications between two groups of user devices (mainly PCs and laptops), based on their MAC addresses. I would like to achieve a situation where, any user of the two groups, can plug into any port of the switch, and be able to see only the users from his own MAC group, without seeing devices from the other group.

What I did:

1) in the "802.1Q" section I configured two new 802.1Q VLANS, with VLAN ID = 10 and 20 respectively. Assigned all the ports from the switch to both VLANS as untagged.

2) in the "MAC VLAN" section I have assigned three MAC-VLAN bindings:

2a) MAC of computerA --> VLAN 10

2b) MAC of computerB --> VLAN 10

2c) MAC of computerC --> VLAN 20

3) I have checked that the binding works properly, i.e. in the "Mac address" table I can see that the MAC addresses have been assigned to the VLANs as I intended.

ComputerA and computerB ping each other. However, they can ping computerC as well. I have expected that computerC wouldn't be visible for computers A and B.

Are the mac addresses assigned to different VLANs not supposed to be isolated / mutually invisible? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for help!

Regards,

Maciek

Options
1 Reply
Re:separating MAC-based VLANS
2020-07-20 15:11:29

@Maciek339 

Hi, 

Hope this configuration guide could help for your case.

In addition, you may check for a firmware update for the switch, it seems you missed an update.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/t2600g-52ts/#Firmware

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 915

Replies: 1

Related Articles