EAP225-Outdoor(Canada)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP225-Outdoor(Canada)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
EAP225-Outdoor(Canada)
EAP225-Outdoor(Canada)
2020-07-20 15:01:55
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20191224 Rel. 53067

Hello, 

I have a EAP225-Outdoor (canadian version). Before it was using the same firmware as the US version but few weeks ago there was a a new firmware available with CA mention it and only on the canadian TP-Link Website :

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/download/eap225-outdoor/#Firmware

EAP225-Outdoor_CA_1.6.1 Build 20191224

So now it seems they have forked firmware for US and CA version of the AP. The problem is that this firmware does not support SDN and it block me from installing new US firmware or even goes back to previous US firmware that are listed on the firmware page. So now I will have to wait everytime for a canadian version of the firmware that probably take forever to be out because Canadian specific things always trails behind... At this point I am like, just buy a new AP with US firmware and never install the canadian one. Other EAP shares the same firmware, but i understand it's probably related to frequencies and db levels available that are a little bit different between US and CA but man this suck...

Do you think there is any way to go back to US firmware?

Thank You

Etienne

Options
11 Reply
Re:EAP225-Outdoor(Canada)
2020-07-22 20:54:01 - last edited 2020-07-22 20:56:43

I have a similar situation. I inadvertantly flashed my EAP225 devices with the Canadian firmware and now I have a mix of EAP245(US) and EAP225(CAN) that is causing problems. I'm unable to flash back to the US version as the controller is blocking it. I need a way to restore the US firmware as well.

Options
2020-07-23 13:51:10

@Blaine How did you get firmware 1.20.0, latest canadian version is 1.6.1. 1.20.0 is the latests US version (which is SDN compliant)

I suspect you did not flashed 1.6.1, which is good for you. It's normal for the model #, canadian version is a little bit different since some c5Ghz channel can't be used oustside in Canada as oppose to the US. 

Options
2020-07-23 14:50:18

EtRod_ wrote

@Blaine How did you get firmware 1.20.0, latest canadian version is 1.6.1. 1.20.0 is the latests US version (which is SDN compliant)

I suspect you did not flashed 1.6.1, which is good for you. It's normal for the model #, canadian version is a little bit different since some c5Ghz channel can't be used oustside in Canada as oppose to the US. 

I promise I didn't do anything crazy. Just downloaded from the TP Link site and updated the firmware. The bin file clearly says CAN on it which is obviously my fault for not noticing. With that said, I'm experiencing WiFi dropouts now where all devices disconnect and reconnect at random. Thinking it's the mix of US and CAN firmwares that's causing it. Hopeing TP-Link has a simple solution here to move past what looks to be an arbitrary block.

Options
2020-07-31 13:08:01

@Blaine 

I received this link from TP-Link Support

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202007/20200714/EAP225-Outdoor(CA)_V1_V1.20.0 Build 20200604.zip

If you use Omada Controlle you need 4.1.5 or latest (SDN)

Options
2020-08-01 10:19:47

@EtRod_ I am in the same situation and nobody answered me, english is not my native language and flashed my EAP225 v1 Outdoor by mistake with an "CA" firm... I also have EAP245v3 US, latest firmware, so I'm using it with Omada 4.1.5, and the EAP225 Outdoor standalone.

I presume there must be a chance to return to US firm, maybe we'll have to wait new US firm or hope someone at TP-LINK ask or petition with a real solution and not the "cliché" answer "is not possible", becausewe know it's not true.

Options
2021-04-12 09:30:36

Any chance on getting back to US firmware from CA?

Options
2021-04-12 13:26:52

@Element Unfortunately no. TP-Link would not help. I scolded them for allowing such a change in the first place. A user, as I did, makes a very simple and easy mistake which voids the whole warranty and cripples capability. I was very clear this was a deal-breaker for me buying future TP-Link products. Can't trust that they'll provide clear instructions, reasonable safeguards, and warranties they'll honor. They can absolutely fix this since they hold the encryption keys to their locked firmware and could easily sign a US flashable version with the CA key to fix this; but they won't do it.

Since my warranty is now void, I've been researching ways to hack their firmware to use alternative software. I won't say how in this thread but Google is your friend and there is a project that's made good progress.

Options
2021-04-16 01:56:56

Dear @Element, @Blaine, @Photob,

Element wrote

Any chance on getting back to US firmware from CA?

May I know your region? If you are located in Canada and using the EAP225-Outdoor in Canada, you are supposed to use CA firmware to avoid violating the local wireless regulation.

But if you are not in Canada, where did you find the CA firmware for downloading and upgrading? As far as I know, the CA firmware is only available on the Canadian website, if you are NOT in Canada, you may not visit the Canadian website, also the website will usually guide you to the local website at your initial visit like the following picture.

I will check if there is anything I can do to help you after understanding where is going wrong.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation and attention!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-04-16 16:14:36 - last edited 2021-04-16 16:15:33

@Fae I can't speak for @Element but in my case I simply Googled EAP225-Outdoor firmware and clicked the first link. Now it's on me for not checking, totally get that. But the point is that, as my research into the data format of these BIN files has confirmed, the US version at the time was NOT digitally signed, whereas the CA version was. This would have been around the 1.5 version timeframe. So for me, being in the US, applying the CA firmware was no problem but once you apply you can never go back. There have been quite a few people who've ended up in the same place and there are alternative forums with non-TP-Link approved procedures to revert the units back to the US versions to help folks like me.

Let me also note that the modal window on your website that you took a screenshot of was NOT in place last year when this all began. That is a recent addition.

So just to answer your question directly. I'm in Florida, USA. I applied the CA firmware by mistake. The TP-Link did NOT prevent applying the CA firmware to the US version; but it DOES prevent applying the US version back to a unit flashed with CA regardless of whether it was US to begin with. Support will also NOT help and my warranty has been voided per support. So, I've resorted in hacking your hardware, successfully I might add, just to get it back to operating the way I bought it.

Options
2021-04-19 08:53:17

Dear @Blaine,

Thank you for your valued feedback.

Blaine wrote

There have been quite a few people who've ended up in the same place and there are alternative forums with non-TP-Link approved procedures to revert the units back to the US versions to help folks like me.

Do you mean that there is a 3rd-party forum that can help to flash the EAP225-Outdoor firmware from CA to the US version?

Have you tried the 3rd-party method to flash the firmware back to the US version? Is your EAP225-Outdoor working in the US version now?

Please feel free to let me know if I can be of any further help here.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2328

Replies: 11

Related Articles