CPE510 Rogue DHCP Issues and EAP115 Slow Throughput

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

CPE510 Rogue DHCP Issues and EAP115 Slow Throughput

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
11 Reply
Re:CPE510 Rogue DHCP Issues and EAP115 Slow Throughput
2020-08-18 07:13:10

JonathanSK wrote

1) My first question is how does a device decide which WAP to use? From my research this is based on detected signal strength and there is little I can do to affect that on the nework side correct? Some of the devices are prefering the outside signal to the inside signal.

2) How can I tell which AP I'm connected to if they share the sam SSID and they are bridging the LAN side of the network.

3) My third question is I am recieving low throughput connected to the Main Building 2.4 SSID when I'm inside the building. Any thought as to why the speeds might be intermittenty slow coming from the WAPs? I've tested wired into the switch and speeds remain stable 300/300 after the DNS fix, but connected to the AP I sometimes get 80/80 more often I get 3 to 4. Should I assign them static IPs? Could the Wifi signals be interfering with each other? 

1) Client devices most often use signal strength, signal-to-noise ratio, available WiFi rates and maybe other parameters. You can't do much on the AP's side to influence this behavior.

2) You can check the BSSID (MAC address) of the AP to which the device is connected to.

3) 80 to 95 Mbps is maximum (full-duplex) throughput you can achieve over a 300 Mbps (half-duplex) wireless link of an N300 EAP. Actual throughput depends on many environmental influences and clients constantly negotiate a WiFi rate with an AP which allows for stable communication. Interferences such as caused by obstacles between client and AP or by reflections or by nearby WLAN / non-WLAN devices (DECT, Bluetooth, Zigbee etc.) can greatly reduce the throughput.

Yes, any stationary device such as switches or APs always should be assigned a static IP. Whether you assign those static IPs by DHCP MAC/IP mapping or by settings in the device doesn't matter, but there is no reason to assign stationary devices dynamic IPs through DHCP (except probably lazyness).

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Related Articles