TP-Link EAP110 Outdoor keeps restarting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-16 09:35:17 - last edited 2020-08-17 01:20:22
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: TL-EAP110-OUTDOORv1_1.2.0_[20180418-rel74942

I installed the TP-Link EAP110 Outdoor but ran into a problem after testing it. When I run a speedtest, it starts with a descent speed of around 85Mb/s. Then the connection is lost and the device restarts itself. In the web interface, in the monitor, it is visible that the up-time is also reset. The date/time are also reset. To me this indicates that the device is restarted. Usually it only happens on high usage, like a speedtest. Normal browsing seems stable.

What did I do to throubleshoot:

- Updated the firmware to the latest version

- Moved the PoE injector from inside the house, to right next of the device with a prefab shielded cable

So far no luck on getting it to work stable. What could be the cause and what can I do to test this? Or could it be a faulty device/PoE injector?

Update, extra info:

As soon as the problem occurs, the LED on the device blink green, red and yellow. After a few seconds, its solid green again.

Options
9 Reply
Re:TP-Link EAP110 Outdoor keeps restarting
2020-08-17 04:16:26 - last edited 2020-08-17 04:17:02

@spdr870, sounds to me like the RESET signal from the PoE injector is being triggered.

This in-band signalling can cause a reset/reboot of the EAP.

Is the mains power stable?

What cable do you use between PoE injector and EAP110-Outdoor?

Did you properly ground the EAP110-Outdoor?

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-08-17 08:37:54

@R1D2 

Is the mains power stable?

- Yes

What cable do you use between PoE injector and EAP110-Outdoor?

- I tried different cables, first using a longer 30meter cable running underground from the house. The PoE injector in-house. Then tried moving the PoE injector behind the 30m cable and used a short molded UTP cable. This cable has the ground connected, I tested this with a cable tester. The wall-outlet for the power is grounded as well.

Did you properly ground the EAP110-Outdoor?

- I did not connect the ground connector on the device, since it should be properly grounded through the PoE injector. I did test on 2 different power outlets, one inside the house and one outside the house. No difference.

To me it looks like the PoE injector doesn't provide enough power for high loads, but that is just a wild guess.

Options
2020-08-17 10:46:00

spdr870 wrote 

To me it looks like the PoE injector doesn't provide enough power for high loads, but that is just a wild guess.

Sure, everything is possible.

Yes, grounding the EAP over the cable's shield or an additonal ground wire is o.k.

Options
2020-08-17 16:32:12 - last edited 2020-08-17 17:34:23

@R1D2 I did some more testing. I noticed that the access point only supports IEEE 802.11n/g/b. The laptop I use for testing supports IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac. Just as a test I forced my laptop to only use IEEE 802.11n/g/b. This seems to make it more stable, no crashes after one hour of running speedtests in a loop. From what I understand this should not make any difference. The standards are backwards compatible and a wifi signal should never restart a device. What are your thoughts about this?

Edit: never mind, it crashed. Turning off QoS seem to have a great impact on stability though. But without QoS the speed dropped from 80+Mb/s to 10Mbs. The cpu usage of the access point is lowered as well.

Options
2020-08-18 06:53:59

spdr870 wrote

But without QoS the speed dropped from 80+Mb/s to 10Mbs.

According to the WiFi standard WMM (QoS) is required for 802.11n. Turning off WMM caps the maximum WiFi rate at 54 Mbps (g mode).

Options
2020-08-18 11:10:01

Dear @spdr870,

Do you use the original provided passive PoE adapter to power up the EAP110-Outdoor? Is the EAP managed by Omada Controller?

If you reset it to factory default settings, do you still have the auto-reset issue when there is any further setting configured on the EAP?

Would the issue still exist when there is only one client connected?

Best regards.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-08-18 13:33:38

@Fae I use the PoE adapter provided by the device. The EAP is not managed by Omada controller, but used stand alone. It will not reset to factory settings, only the clock is reset to the default and the log is cleared. There is only one client connected during test, so yes.

Options
2020-08-18 14:46:23

@spdr870 

Do you mean the EAP still keep the customized SSID after you try resetting it? How did you reset it?

If you can access the web management page of the EAP, please reset it from the web UI.

Or press the reset hole for about 8 seconds when the EAP is powered on.

How to judge it is reset successfully:

the LED status would flash green-red-yellow and then default SSID would show up once it's restarted.

If there is another 24V PoE injector available, swap and test whether it's the PoE issue.

If no other POE injector for test, but the issue still exists, you may contact the reseller for a warranty replacement.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-08-18 15:20:44

@Fae 

Do you mean the EAP still keep the customized SSID after you try resetting it? How did you reset it?

I do not reset manually. When the EAP is on heavy load (speedtest), it restarts (reboot). It keeps the custom SSID and the password. Only the date/time is reset to 2014 and the log is cleared with 2 default entries. To me this is strange, because it looks like a partial factory reset, but not compete.

If you can access the web management page of the EAP, please reset it from the web UI.

Or press the reset hole for about 8 seconds when the EAP is powered on.

How to judge it is reset successfully:

the LED status would flash green-red-yellow and then default SSID would show up once it's restarted.

I did try to reset (not restart, but factory settings). That resets the SSID. My issue is not the resetting, but I don't want it to restart (reboot) very often.

If there is another 24V PoE injector available, swap and test whether it's the PoE issue.

Unfortunally no, I did test different cables.

If no other POE injector for test, but the issue still exists, you may contact the reseller for a warranty replacement.

Ok, I will do this.

I wish there was a way to test this and 'proof' that the POE injector is the problem. As an IT-professional, I like to thoubleshoot before replacing.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3112

Replies: 9