Multisite APs home running to SDN controller over Internet [Solved]

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-17 00:11:07 - last edited 2020-08-17 19:44:45
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I have a situation where all remote sites (one AP per site) will be in the same subnet (ISP router default LAN subnet). I tested one AP and it works and joins the controller. I was expecting controller to show the Public IP of the AP, but it only shows the private IP. However that should not matter, as long as controller does not care what the inside IP of  the APs are, as long as they come from different public IPs and thus each behind a separate CAPWAP tunnel.

Can someone confirm that this scenario of multiple APs with their IPs in the same subnet (say 192.168.1.0/24) making calls out to the controller and registering and working successfully? I have controller 4.15 running on Ubuntu at one location and EAP225 running at another.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Multisite APs home running to SDN controller over Internet-Solution
2020-08-17 03:45:01 - last edited 2020-08-17 19:44:45

@dpsguard,

if you link EAPs to the controller over layer 3, they will indeed use the public IP to reach the controller. Internal IPs will be NATed by the router. Of course you can use the same local subnet for multiple sites, those local IPs are not used by the controller for communication.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Multisite APs home running to SDN controller over Internet-Solution
2020-08-17 03:45:01 - last edited 2020-08-17 19:44:45

@dpsguard,

if you link EAPs to the controller over layer 3, they will indeed use the public IP to reach the controller. Internal IPs will be NATed by the router. Of course you can use the same local subnet for multiple sites, those local IPs are not used by the controller for communication.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Multisite APs home running to SDN controller over Internet
2020-08-17 12:48:39

Dear @dpsguard,

R1D2 is correct. To manage the EAPs at different places, you may refer to the configuration guide below to do some configurations. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2763/

Best regards. 

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-08-17 13:23:11

Thnaks Fae. I am not looking for configuration guides as I have already done so. Just wanted to hear from someone who may have done similar. Configuration guides and FAQs dont state that private Ip addressing  / subnets at different sites can be overlapping or same as any other site, as long as they all are hidden behind a NAT router / firewall.

Thanks and I am going to test it today by going to a site that will have the same IP addressing.

Fae wrote

Dear @dpsguard,

R1D2 is correct. To manage the EAPs at different places, you may refer to the configuration guide below to do some configurations. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2763/

Best regards. 

Options
2020-08-17 19:43:44

So I tested today and set same IP on the two APs, but located at two different sites and this all worked beautifully.

It will be great if FAQ can be updated to state that remote sites can be all in same / any subnet (especially when using ISP routers). Thanks to both of yoy R1D2 and Fae for looking into this and confirming for me.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 728

Replies: 4

Related Articles