Can't find 2nd EAP225-Outdoor with Omada Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-17 21:36:22 - last edited 2020-08-17 21:39:25
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: EAP225-Outdoor(US)_V1_1.20.0 Build 20200422

Hello,

I have two EAP225-Outdoor in mesh mode (see diagram below), which was working well for awhile but every time the isolated AP loses power, it's such a big hassle just finding it and getting it connected to the mesh again.

Internet ------- Router -------- EAP225-Outdoor ))  (( EAP225-Outdoor )) Clients / Omada Controller

------- wired

)) wireless

The isolated AP does not show up in Omada Controller and resetting the device doesn't work either. I'm not able to connect to it directly via SSID "TP-Link_2.4GHz_XXXXXX" because it doesn't exist.

Any help is appreciated. Pretty frustrated at this point having to do this three times in the last month.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Can't find 2nd EAP225-Outdoor with Omada Controller
2020-08-18 12:09:56

Dear @dasfrank,

Sorry to hear that you have trouble with the products.

To better figure out the issue, please allow me to verify the info below:

I have two EAP225-Outdoor in mesh mode (see diagram below), which was working well for awhile but every time the isolated AP loses power, it's such a big hassle just finding it and getting it connected to the mesh again.

Do you mean the mesh EAP would turn to "Isolated" status (or it just disappears completely from the Controller) every time the power supply is lost? Are the two EAP225-Outdoor powered up via the original provided PoE adapter? What do you do to get it connected to the mesh again?

The isolated AP does not show up in Omada Controller and resetting the device doesn't work either. I'm not able to connect to it directly via SSID "TP-Link_2.4GHz_XXXXXX" because it doesn't exist.

What do you mean by resetting the device doesn't work? If the EAP225-Outdoor is not reset successfully, the default SSID won't show up, you may press the reset button for ~8 seconds on the EAP225-Outdoor (not the PoE adapter) and verify the LED does flash green-red-yellow.

More detailed info would be much appreciated and helpful for further analysis. Best regards!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-08-18 12:43:24 - last edited 2020-08-18 12:49:15

Hi dasfrank,

Omada Controller should be on the side of the wired LAN. In your diagram, Omada Controller resides on a client connected wirelessly to the mesh EAP. This can't work. Omada Controller needs access to the mesh's root node to detect an isolated mesh node.

So, the recommend setup is:

Internet --- Router --- EAP225-Outdoor1 )))  ((( EAP225-Outdoor2 ))) Clients

\-- Omada Controller

Of course, if EAP-Outdoor2 is down, you cannot connect from wireless clients to the controller, but with a smartphone or tablet you can use mobile data to access the controller through the TP-Link cloud.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-08-18 23:48:17 - last edited 2020-08-18 23:49:27

@Fae 

Do you mean the mesh EAP would turn to "Isolated" status (or it just disappears completely from the Controller) every time the power supply is lost?

The mesh EAP would disappear completely from the Controller.

Are the two EAP225-Outdoor powered up via the original provided PoE adapter?

Yes, using the PoE adapter that came in the box with the EAP.

What do you mean by resetting the device doesn't work? If the EAP225-Outdoor is not reset successfully, the default SSID won't show up, you may press the reset button for ~8 seconds on the EAP225-Outdoor (not the PoE adapter) and verify the LED does flash green-red-yellow.

What I meant was, after not seeing the 2nd EAP in the Controller, I would press the reset button (on the EAP, not the PoE adapter) for 5, sometimes 8, sometimes 60 seconds but I still cannot find its default SSID, nor can I find it in Discovery Tool, or the Controller. I'm running a Windows PC with the Controller connected to the router which is on the same subnet as the root EAP, as well as on a MacBook Pro with the Discovery Tool connected to the router which is on the same subnet as the root EAP. Still cannot find the 2nd EAP. Root EAP shows up fine on the Discovery Tool and Controller.

Options
2020-08-18 23:55:04

R1D2 wrote

Hi dasfrank,

Omada Controller should be on the side of the wired LAN. In your diagram, Omada Controller resides on a client connected wirelessly to the mesh EAP. This can't work. Omada Controller needs access to the mesh's root node to detect an isolated mesh node.

Thanks for clarifying, @R1D2. I moved my PC, monitor and my laptop outside in the 112° degree heat. Omada Controller and Discovery Tool connected to the router, can see the root node. Still can't find the missing EAP. 🥵

Options
2020-08-19 00:40:43

So after resetting the isolated EAP several more times, I can now see the default SSID and the EAP was showing as "Pending" in the Controller. I was able to adopt it again, phew. What an ordeal.

Options
2020-08-19 01:42:17

Dear @dasfrank,

Glad to know the mesh EAP shows up finally.

To get a stable EAP mesh network, here are two points we need attention:

1. Make sure the Mesh AP locates in the coverage of Root AP

This can make sure that this Mesh AP can be found by the Mesh network and deliver wireless data flow normally. It is similar to the “router + range extender” system. The range extender needs to be placed in the coverage of the main router to get the wireless data flow and relay it.

2. For Mesh AP, the recommended signal of Uplink AP is between -40dBm and -62dBm.

In the real wireless environment, there may be many obstacles that will reduce the transmission of signal. Therefore, it's recommended to locate the Mesh AP based on the signal of the Uplink AP.

3. Please keep your Omada Controller steadily running if you want the EAP Mesh network to function well. As R1D2 suggested, the Controller host PC is suggested to hardwired to the network with EAPs.

Hope this information helps. Best regards!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2529

Replies: 6

Related Articles