Okay to do a new install with Omada software controller v3.2.10?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-18 04:25:17 - last edited 2021-07-30 03:35:26
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi. I just purchased an EAP to replace my failing UAC. A huge part of my decision to switch was based on my time with the Omada controller emulator at https://emulator.tp-link.com/omada-controller/index.html. Well, it turns out this controller emulator is running v3.x.x. Today I installed the latest Omada controller, v4.1.5, and discovered that it's not just a simple wireless AP controller like the emulator shows. This is a full SDN; not unlike the UniFi trash controller I thought I was leaving behind. Needless to say, I'm not a happy cusomter right now.

I see Omada controller v3.2.10 is stil availalbe for download and not even that old. My questions are:

• If I decide to install and run version 3.x.x, will I be missing AP firmware upgrades or AP / wireless specific features now or in the future?

• Is controller v3.x.x development dead?

My new EAP arrives tomorrow and I don't want to invest my time, effort, and money into garbage SDN devices anymore; I just want a wireless AP.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Okay to do a new install with Omada software controller v3.2.10?-Solution
2020-09-19 04:10:51 - last edited 2021-07-30 03:35:26

Dear @DePingus

On the plus side, standalone mode seems like it might have all the features I want in an AP.

Generally speaking, we can simply install the EAP for basic functionality without installing the Omada Controller.

Here is the setup video for your reference, https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/eap245/#video

Note: check the vidoe for <A Quick Overview of EAP Management Methods> and <How to Set up a TP-Link EAP via Web browser>

If you need to configure the network with some advanced features such as Mesh, Reboot Schedule, Fast Roaming, and so on. Omada Controller will be required. For more advanced features that require Omada Controller, please read this FAQ: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2051/

I still would like to know if v3 controller and EAP v3 compatible firmware will continue to get updates (at least security patches).

No worries. If there is security issue existed, the R&D will add a plan to fix it.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Okay to do a new install with Omada software controller v3.2.10?
2020-09-18 13:22:50 - last edited 2020-09-18 13:25:22

I think I found the answers to one of my questions here https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2904/

I will probably have to downgrade my new EAP to old firmware in order to get it on the v3.x.x controller. Bummer. On the plus side, standalone mode seems like it might have all the features I want in an AP. If this single EAP has the same range as the UAC it's replacing, I'll probalby just run it in standalone mode.

I still would like to know if v3 controller and EAP v3 compatible firmware will continue to get updates (at least security patches).

Options
Re:Okay to do a new install with Omada software controller v3.2.10?-Solution
2020-09-19 04:10:51 - last edited 2021-07-30 03:35:26

Dear @DePingus

On the plus side, standalone mode seems like it might have all the features I want in an AP.

Generally speaking, we can simply install the EAP for basic functionality without installing the Omada Controller.

Here is the setup video for your reference, https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/eap245/#video

Note: check the vidoe for <A Quick Overview of EAP Management Methods> and <How to Set up a TP-Link EAP via Web browser>

If you need to configure the network with some advanced features such as Mesh, Reboot Schedule, Fast Roaming, and so on. Omada Controller will be required. For more advanced features that require Omada Controller, please read this FAQ: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2051/

No worries. If there is security issue existed, the R&D will add a plan to fix it.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Okay to do a new install with Omada software controller v3.2.10?
2020-09-20 14:26:16

Hi @DePingus,

You can configure EAP's in stand-alone mode using their web-based interfaces, and to a more limited extent using the iOS or Android Omada App.

Omada Server software, or the SDN software, or the OC-200 are only required for wireless MESH configuration (if you plan to have any EAP's that aren't Ethernet connected) and for FAST Roaming.  Regular roaming (same SSID, same encryption, same password) works just fine without the controller and is still quite fast.

When I first got my EAP's I used their individual web interfaces to configure.  Then I moved to Omada server, and then the OC-200.  I really liked the combination of Omada on the OC-200.

I recently (and month or two ago) moved to the SDN software on OC-200.  It took me a little while to get used to it -- rather more cluttered with features and capabilities I don't need / use than Omada was.

But aside from the changed layout, there's really nothing "wrong" with the SDN software per see that would want to make me go back to Omada.  While I still prefer the older Omada layout and interface this is mainly because it was very familiar to me -- not because it was really "better."

I'm looking forward to adding a managed switch and perhaps a gateway in the future to get more real-time data and remote monitoring capabilities for my home network.

Regardless, once things are up and running, I don't really go into the server software (previous Omada, now SDN) very often.  I mostly connect to it from the iOS app which is largely unchanged to make sure everything is up and running (when my kids or wife complain -- NOTE, it's almost never my home Wifi's fault) and to check for EAP firmware updates.

What specifically don't you like about the SDN interface?  (aside from the fact that it's a hot mess of cluttered information).  Also note that this is public release one of the SDN, I know Fae, Jonas, R1D2, and others are working hard to make a number of improvements,  I'm hopeful there will be a update in the next few months.

-Jonathan

Options