Common Questions About TP-Link EAP Device When It's Used in Home Network

2020-09-24 12:29:01 - last edited 2023-08-17 10:01:36

Overview

This post answers some common questions about TP-Link EAP device when it’s used in a home network. Hope this is helpful for people who may need it. If you cannot find what you are looking for, please feel free to leave your comment on this thread.

Configuration on EAP Device

1. Can I attach the EAP directly to my modem or do I need a router?

The EAP is NOT a Wi-Fi Router. We cannot use the EAP as a Router by attaching it directly to a modem for sharing the Internet. If there is no router in your network, you may still need to get a router.

2. Can I connect EAP to another non-TP-Link router?

Yes you can. The EAP is an access point, it can be connected to any router to improve the wireless coverage.

3. Can I connect the EAP with Deco?

If your purpose is connecting the EAP to the Deco unit via Ethernet cable to provide wider wireless coverage, the answer would be YES. But if your purpose is connecting the EAP wirelessly to the Deco without cable, the answer would be NO.

4. Can EAP Mesh work with Deco Mesh?

No, EAP can NOT work with Deco products to build a Mesh network since the Mesh mechanism between EAP and Deco products is different.

5. Can I use the EAP to create a seamlessly roaming network with my router?

We have some certain EAPs that support 802.11k/V fast roaming feature, which can cooperate with the wireless clients to build a seamless roaming network. If you are interested, please read this article for more details.

Getting To Know Fast Roaming (aka Seamless Roaming) of Omada EAP Products

6. Can I use the EAP to bridge my existing network?

The EAP is an access point, it can only be used to bridge the existing network by Ethernet cable when you have one single EAP.

However, if you need to deploy the network wirelessly, the EAP Mesh feature may work for you. But note that the EAP Mesh is only supported on certain models, at least ONE of the EAPs must be hardwired to the network, and the Omada Controller is required to use the EAP Mesh. Read the following FAQ for more about the EAP Mesh feature: Frequently Asked Questions about EAP Mesh Network

7. Do I need to install the Controller software or purchase a hardware Controller to setup my EAP?

Generally speaking, you can simply configure each EAP individually for basic functionality without installing or purchasing the Omada Controller. But if you need to configure the network with some advanced features such as Mesh, Reboot Schedule, Fast Roaming and so on. Omada Controller will be required. Read the following FAQ for more advanced features that require Omada Controller: Should I Keep the Omada Controller Running After Configuration?

Troubleshooting on EAP Device

1. What can I do if I cannot get internet access after connected to the EAP’s SSID?

The EAP is usually plug-and-play, if you get no internet access from the EAP, please firstly confirm the main Router is working fine.

Then check the points below and see if it helps:

1) Ensure the EAP is hardwired to the Router via an Ethernet LAN cable, use a standard CAT5 above cable for the connection.

Usually we can see a corresponding LED light up on the Router.

2) Test the EAP’s SSID with other wireless clients, eliminate the issue is from a specific client.

3) Check the IP info on the wireless clients.

To access the Internet, the clients need to get Default Gateway (Router) and DNS Server from your network through the EAP.

How to find IP address of your computer,  How to find IP address of a mobile device

4) Unplug the EAP, and connect a PC instead to the Router with the same Ethernet cable, check the IP info obtained on the PC and confirm it can get internet access.

5) Reset the EAP: with the EAP powered on, use a pin to press and hold the reset hole for about 8 seconds until the LED flashes green-red-yellow to factory default settings.

6) Repeat step 1)-4) if you still get no Internet access from the EAP.

If it still doesn’t work, contact TP-Link support with the above results for further assistance.

2. What can I do if my EAP cannot be powered on?

1) Please check the power supply supported by your EAP, ensure you are using the correct power supply to power up the EAP.

Here is a summary guide for your reference. PoE Guide to TP-Link Access Points

Note: If your EAP is not listed in the guide above, you may search the full model number from TP-Link official website to get the details.

2) If your EAP comes with a passive PoE adapter, connect the EAP to the PoE port of the passive PoE adapter, and the PoE adapter into a power outlet, there will be a green LED lit up on the adapter.

3) Change a different cable and another power outlet.

If it still doesn’t work, contact TP-Link support with the EAP device info for further assistance.

Recommended Threads

Getting To Know Fast Roaming (aka Seamless Roaming) of Omada EAP Products

Essence Posts Summary (Newbie Must-See)

Experience the Latest Omada EAP Firmware - Trial Available Here, Subscribe for Updates!

Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here - Subscribe for Updates

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
19 Reply
Re:Common questions about TP-Link EAP device when it’s used in home network
2020-10-03 07:43:12

Hi,

I need some help as tearing my hair out!!!

I have bought a EAP225. Connected it to my router (in the UK and its a Sky Q router), and light is green. I can see the SSID on mobile devices but it wont connect.

Have tried on multiple devices, done a reset, but im sorry i dont understand the instructions 3) and 4) below - have tried but to no avail.

Can anyone help, else I am just going to have to return the device :(

Chris

Options
2020-10-04 00:35:28

@Chrisneedhelp 

I can see the SSID on mobile devices but it wont connect. 

If the SSID won't be connected, it could be caused by incorrect password, or the mobile device is unable to obtain a valid IP address.

The EAP's SSID is not secured with a password by default, so it's likely that you are unable to obtain a valid IP address through the SSID for a network connection. In that case, refer to instruction 4), we can check the Ethernet connection to the Router with a wired PC, verifying the PC can obtain a valid IP address from the Router and get Internet access properly.

If you have tried that, may I know what IP address is obtained on your PC by instruction 4)? Would that help if you try a shorter cable to connect?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-01-09 00:49:46

@Fae 

For point 6 you may want to state that wireless mesh is supported on some models. but you need the controller and at least ONE of the AP's must be wired to the ntework.

Options
2021-01-11 02:29:03

Dear @dragon2611,

For point 6 you may want to state that wireless mesh is supported on some models. but you need the controller and at least ONE of the AP's must be wired to the ntework.

Thank you for your valued advice, agree and I've modified point 6. Cheers!

Options
2021-04-11 15:24:30
Hi, Do the EAP245 V3 uses a dedicated antena to connect via MESH? And can you connect via mesh different EAP example 660HD when it get mesh firmware to the 245? Thank you.
Options
2021-04-17 07:06:26

@Chrisneedhelp 

please check whether DHCP is enable on router and EAP is connected to the router via cat6 cable

Chrisneedhelp wrote

Hi,

I need some help as tearing my hair out!!!

I have bought a EAP225. Connected it to my router (in the UK and its a Sky Q router), and light is green. I can see the SSID on mobile devices but it wont connect.

Have tried on multiple devices, done a reset, but im sorry i dont understand the instructions 3) and 4) below - have tried but to no avail.

Can anyone help, else I am just going to have to return the device :(

Chris

Options
2021-04-18 07:53:07

Dear @Cloudbuster,

Cloudbuster wrote

Hi, Do the EAP245 V3 uses a dedicated antena to connect via MESH? And can you connect via mesh different EAP example 660HD when it get mesh firmware to the 245? 

EAP mesh provides a possible way to wirelessly deploy the EAPs in a network.

EAP uses 5GHz to connect via Mesh. We can connect different EAPs to the mesh network as long as all EAPs support Mesh feature.

Options
2021-08-11 01:38:34

@Fae 

Hi... a cctv extension question:

I bought a V380 light bulb cctv camera that I want to use to watch my EAP225 and prevent theft.

I set up a test wireless ssid using OmadaController on my pc which the camera then connects to.

The pc and eap225 are both on subnet 192.168.0 and I can use the V380 app on my pc discover the camera and then view the area around the EAP225

The problem is once the power goes off or the EAP225 reboots... the V380 camera automatically connects to my other device an EAP110 which is running on subnet 192.168.10 and then things don't work properly.

So, is there some way I can set it up so the light bulb cctv is forced to connect through EAP225 rather than the EAP110 ?

i.e. Sort of isolate the test wireless network ssid so it's tied to the EAP225???

Options
2021-10-18 19:34:50

@Fae please can you tell if I can use the AC1350 with my sky router. I have 2 installed in the house but they are not on the same network as everything else plugged into my TP link unmanaged switch. I want to create 1 home network and a guest network using my router and the access point as 1. Is this possible? 

Options
2021-10-19 01:06:51

Dear @Lee.s.jones,

Lee.s.jones wrote

please can you tell if I can use the AC1350 with my sky router. I have 2 installed in the house but they are not on the same network as everything else plugged into my TP link unmanaged switch. I want to create 1 home network and a guest network using my router and the access point as 1. Is this possible? 

EAP225 (AC1350) is a wireless access point, which can be connected to a Router via Ethernet cable to extend the network.

You can enable Guest Network on the EAP225 to isolate the home network from the guest network.

If it doesn't answer your question, could you please Start a New Thread from Forums - Omada EAP and provide more information such as the network topology, what you have done and what's the current problem?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 11502

Replies: 18

Related Articles