Parental Controls & 3rd Party DNS (Where do PC come from?)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-26 20:01:07

I'm using a Deco M9 Plus system. 

Can someone explain how Parental Controls work?  It looks like my DNS servers point to those provided by my ISP.  I wondered if the Parental Controls rules were managed through TP-Link's own DNS service, but that doesn't seem to be the case, right?

I want to add some extra security and control, but I don't want to create conflicts or hamstring the control that comes with my Deco router.  If I change my DNS to a 3rd party like that provided by Cleanbrowsing.org, will those restrictions be primary to Deco's P.C. or secondary?  Or am I thinking about this all wrong?

(Clean Browsing claims to be able to enforce Google Safe Search over the whole network, which is appealing to me.)

Options
1 Reply
Re:Parental Controls & 3rd Party DNS (Where do PC come from?)
2020-10-18 13:09:50

@HarlanPepper if anyone knows, please let us know. I'm looking into the same thing. I'm planning to change my DNS to cleanbrowsing settings, but that's when my last Netgear router starting having issues. I'd like to know it was an aging router issue, not a cleanbrowsing issue. I would also like to learn from anyone else's issues or praises of the deco+DNS+Parental Controls. Thanks. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 869

Replies: 1

Related Articles