Poviding internet access for a community

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-07 01:00:10

I would like to provide internet access to a community approximately 4km in diameter I have a modem which is in the center of the community. I would like to know what can I use to provide the area with WiFi coverage without installing an access point at each home. It would be ideal if I could use one device for the entire community if not please advise as to the recommended devices and how many of each. 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Poviding internet access for a community
2020-10-07 13:25:32

@Jay876  Try using TP-ANT2415 it will give you at least 900m in radius.

Options
2020-10-09 10:00:50 - last edited 2020-10-09 10:03:52

AustinNzioka.-_ wrote

Try using TP-ANT2415 it will give you at least 900m in radius.

And how would TL-ANT2415MS be able to extend the coverage of a smartphone's antenna, which has a range of up to ~70m to ~100m outdoors (depending on the region's max. allowed EIRP)?

WiFi is not a one-way communication medium like you favorite radio station playing songs the whole day.

WiFi clients need to send data back to the AP and consumer device's omnidirectional antennas will definitively not cover 900m.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-10-09 10:15:25

Dear @Jay876,

I would like to provide internet access to a community approximately 4km in diameter I have a modem which is in the center of the community. I would like to know what can I use to provide the area with WiFi coverage without installing an access point at each home. It would be ideal if I could use one device for the entire community if not please advise as to the recommended devices and how many of each. 

1. To provide the area with WiFi coverage, it's recommended to select APs with 360° antennas, such as EAP225-Outdoor. The recommended wireless coverage radius of EAP Outdoor is 150meters.

2. It's hard to achieve your demand with only one device for the entire community, you would need multiple APs to deploy the community network. The reason is that wireless communication is bidirectional, even if you find an outdoor AP which can transmit the wifi signal to a very long distance, it doesn't necessarily mean the end devices (such as cellphones, laptops, soho devices) can talk back and communicate with AP well. The effective distance also depends on the end devices. So you would need at least one outdoor AP to communicate with each other in such long-distance scenario.

3. To get the specific recommendation, you may try the “Network Deployment Advisor for Small and Midsize Businesses” system.
Here is the guidance of the Network Deployment Advisor system for your reference.
https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/207736

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-12-10 08:40:05

@R1D2 after months of research on community WiFi, I have found a solution. Use TP-LINK outdoor CPEs like CPE210 which broadcasts a 2.4Ghz signal or CPE510 for a 5.0Ghz signal. The range of the aforementioned devices is more than you asked for.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 598

Replies: 4